Skip to main content

Reply to "Results of Mr T Salmon Recipe - 1st Time Smoke w/ Pics"

Earlier this summer, I was able to get Copper River sockeye fresh at Costco for several weeks at about $14 per lb. I thought that was a really good price, and over that time, I smoked about 30 lbs and put it away for the winter. Such a treat to have high quality smoked salmon when the snow flies.

Again, thanks to Mr.T, whose salmon brine I use every time, and it always satisfies. Not too salty, not too sweet, and the salmon flavor is foremost. I've got it down to an almost mindless process; mix brine, cool brine, cut salmon, place in bags with brine, next morning, rinse salmon and pat dry, place on stacked racks under a fan to form the pelicle, smoke, cool on racks, vacuum pack and freeze. I do about six lbs per batch, no muss no fuss.

In the late 1980's, I fished the Juan De Fuca Strait off Port Angeles WA, every summer in August, trolling for salmon. Coho and King were plentiful back then, not so much now. I recall coming in at the end of the day with many lbs of fresh coho, and a king or two. Good times I will never forget. Also trapped Dungeness crabs in Dungeness Bay - a special memory.