Skip to main content

Reply to "Rib roast (prime rib) version 2"

I know what you're thinking but if you go out and have roast beast it is often quite pink even though it is essentially cooked medium-well. This I believe is due to the long resting and slow roasting . . . I like meat TENDER & JUICY, I don't care if it's near raw or well done. I would like to do my rib roast next time with a finishing temp of about 135 or even less. When we do fillets of beef we aim for 122-125 (prior to rest) and this will give us a rare cut but that is in a 475 degree oven after a quick sear on the grill.

The problem with aiming at a lower temperature is the fact that the long rest at 140 will continue to raise the internal temp of the meat. Could you use a lower temp? Perhaps, but I think you'd be better off just hot roasting the meat (10-15 min) and then retire it to the cookshack for a long hold at 140. This is what I'll do on my next attempt.

My goal is not to conform to a "classification" of rare-well done but to make the meat the best I can make it. When I do tougher cuts of meat I need to cook them to "well done" and long, when I use fillet it's "rare" and short.

BTW it was pink and VERY juicy but not red/purple like I usually look for in a fillet.