Skip to main content

Reply to "Rubs - Flavor Effect"

I have to agree with the experienced cooks above.

Often,it seems that the less additions we make,the more correctly cooked meat tastes like the desired product.

Seems like most cooks can mix some salt and pepper in the palm of their hand and get something that won't harm what they are cooking.

A little sugars can aid the bark if desired and give a taste of upfront sweet that some folks enjoy.

A light touch of pepper can give just a little back heat-when desired.

If it is a short/quick cook, many cooks can season the product as they might season a chop or small portion of poultry at the table.

If it is a long/slow cook,much of the seasoning may be lost in the process,as mentioned above.

For the cook looking to add just a little more flavor to the product,a pinch of granulated garlic,or onion added to the palm of the hand often does no damage.

Many fine cooks might suggest that adding much else should best be put off until we are sure we can correctly prep and cook the meat.

Many good cooks find that there are many fine,proven,inexpensive products readily available at the local grocery that may require only minor tweaking to meet their flavor profile,as they change cooked product.

Of course,poorly prepped and cooked product can often be aided by a "super" rub,or sauce.

Although I didn't read the site deeply,I'm not sure what credentials Jeff brings to the table, other than stringing together many other peoples' posts.

Just a couple of thoughts.