Skip to main content

Reply to "Rubs - Flavor Effect"

Cookshack and Smoking Meat are the two main forums I go to if I have a question or am looking for a new idea. While I do more than my fair share of experimenting as you well know when the door is wide open there can be too many variables.

I have tried several free rubs from multiple places on a variety of different smokes. What I’ve found with Jeff’s recipes is they have not overpowered anything I’ve smoked with too much sugar, too much salt, or too much spice. And yes there is something to be said for just mixing a little salt, pepper, and garlic in the palm of your hand and rubbing that in.

Jeff’s recipes are good when the recipe is followed to a tee, or they can easily be dressed up or down with minor changes for different types of smokes without becoming overpowering.

I believe they saved me a good deal of time trying to find a starting point and I believe in supporting the people who help me along the way. There are few things worse than ruining a good smoke because the rub used just wasn’t as good as you thought it might be.IMHO