Skip to main content

Reply to "Seasoning a new Cookshack"

quote:
Originally posted by Smokenque:
True, but a stick burner get's HOT.. and the way to season a steel/cast iron dutch oven, skillet, BBQ is with a low temp oil that will create that seasoning as the high heat burns it onto the surface. Cookshacks don't get hot enough to burn the oil on anything.. conversely, as GLH said.. will keep things (smoke ) from sticking to it properly.

A good dry, cleaned interior will develop a beautiful seasoning in short time. I say cleaned because most sheet metals are rolled to the proper thickness by huge/heavy rollers and the metal is lubicrated with an oil during rolling. I have no idea if CS cleans the metal before forming and welding. Therefore, I suggest a good detergent wash to remove any residual before seasoning. But, that's just my opinion.

I went ahead and sprayed Pam on the insides of the extra Cookshack(50) just out of curiosity. The walls were much darker and further along than when I seasoned my smokette the first time. Of course it makes me wonder what the hell I even asked and bothered everybody for in the first place if I was going to get curious and try it anyway. Wink Big Grin