Skip to main content

Reply to "Setting the Tone -- Welcome the Newbies and the Lurkers"

I like Smokin' read some other forums,and this and maybe ChrisA at the VirtualBullet,are operated like most folks feel comfortable.

Some forums,especially during the winter,when cooks are snowed in,can turn into war zones-even among friends.

They sometimes request these same good things from their members.

I understand that sometimes ,as we grow,change servers,companies,work Smokin' to death,searches don't always yield immediate results.

Like Smokin',I like to see everyone else answer questions,or respond to problems.When Smokin' is gone,I may be a little more active.

It seems like we may have a more active group of "newer folks" stepping up with answers/approaches.Many of them are good and come from a great perspective to a less experienced cook.I also learn from the great responses we have from all over the world.

I, personally,appreciate a post like redoak's that opens with "I have searched,but not found".

I may remember a couple threads that might give him the several approaches to solve the problem,and how they were made.No,I can't give him the one "perfect" part to a 30 part puzzle,but hopefully steer him to several pieces that he recognizes as HIS missing piece.

Cal had good thoughts that folks that opened with" I searched and I COOKED something and these were my problems/results" how do I fix them?

Cookshack's ,as they add more features, can become more expensive than a boxstore cooker and requires more of a decision to make the commitment.

I might now see a change in the requests from"newbies" that they spent "big bucks" and CS/the forum owes it to them that the cookers must follow the specifics of brain surgery equipment and that it makes the "considerable ART" of a strange part of the cooking world as simple as warming a fully cooked weiner,place on bun and add yellow mustard. Roll Eyes

i.e. posts like,"I've never cooked anything in my life,much less thought about bbq".
"I've just ordered my cooker and supplies for about $1800,to arrive Thursday.I've already bought the poultry,brisket,ribs,picnic shoulders,and some sausages.

I've invited my two bosses[so this must be perfect] and twenty to thirty families from the neighborhood to eat on Sat.
What temp should I cook at,and how long should it take.
I'd appreciate any"secret rubs/sauces/fuel "to make this the best bbq in my area.BTW some of the folks have strange tastes and others have dietary restrictions. Confused

I need the answers in the next few hours.Thanks.

Smokin's requests won't always be easy/simple,but one bit of info/guidance from a couple hundred lurkers is a whole lot of good knowledge.

Plus,it might prevent us from wearing Smokin' out as soon. Big Grin

Now,I'll get off before someone accuses me of making a Smokin'Okie post. Wink