Skip to main content

Reply to "Sliced Boston Butt"

So I realize this is a ridiculously old post, but I'm new to the forum so I figured I'd chime in. I realize your 17 year old daughter is probably married with her own children by now, but maybe this will help someone else!

As far as sliced pork butt, I've done this many times. In fact I grew up eating mostly sliced pork as opposed to pulled. I would recommend low and slow cooking- around 235-250 degrees until the roast reaches an internal temp of 140-150, depending on how you like it. What I've done at this point is pull it off the grill/smoker and put it in a clean cooler to rest, for at LEAST 30 minutes, but it will be fine even leaving it 2-3 hours if you want. I've always deboned the roast after the rest, as opposed to trying to cut the bone out prior to cooking. Usually a clean pair of pliers or channel locks to grab the end of the bone and it'll slide right out. Today is the first time I'm gonna try slicing this using a knife. Normally I use a commercial meat slicer. Once you get the meat cut up and into a pan, take the juices from the cooler and pour them over the meat. Serve on a bun with your favorite sauce!