Skip to main content

SM025 First Pork Shoulder Smoke ISSUES

So I've been smoking on my SM025 for a couple of months now, primarily of ribs and have a fairly good handle on the process and have put on at least 25 lbs since my diet now consists of fantastic smoked ribs about once per week, LOL.

So for a big party this evening, I decided to smoke a 7.5 lbs pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches. I researched the forums here and decided on 225 with Jack Daniels soaked wood chips and estimated that it would take approximately 14 hours (based off research on these forums). I have my trusty Weber Style 6741 that I set for my target internal temperature of 190 (I put both probes in different parts of the shoulder) and put the shoulder in the smoker around 9:30 PM with hopes of pulling it out around NOON today. I was shocked with the Weber Style alarm sounded off around 3:30 AM after only 6 hours of smoking. I will attempt to attach pics of the before and after to this post.

My question is this; isn't 6 hours a little fast for a 7.5 pound pork shoulder? Wouldn't it stand to reason that the temperature was well in excess of the 225 I set it for? In short, I'm trying to determine what went wrong here..... I appreciate any and all help, opinions, theories, etc.

P.S. I haven't had a chance to taste the pork shoulder yet, as I was a little grumpy at 3:30 AM....

Attachments

Images (1)
  • BEFORE-2
Last edited {1}
Original Post