Skip to main content

Reply to "SM025 First Pork Shoulder Smoke ISSUES"

Hi Padrefan98 and thank you very much for your thoughts. If I think back, the first alarm went off at around 2:15 AM when one of the probes hit 190. I fell back asleep for 30 minutes when the second probe hit 190 at 2:45 AM. I fell back asleep for another 45 minutes or so, and the internal temperature of the meat only crawled up to 193 or so, so maybe I was in a stall when I pulled the meat..... Perhaps next time I will shoot for 200 internal and see what happens. I will also do this during the day, as getting up at 3:30 AM after a long day of beer-drinking and fishing is NOT fun..... LOL.

I'm going to check the internal smoker probe, but I don't really think that was the issue.

The pork shoulder bone pulled out very cleanly and with virtually no effort. The meat pulled fairly easily, not the easiest, but also no where near needing to be sliced instead of pulled. The taste is very good.... maybe even very, very good, but not the slap-yo-mama and howl-at-the-moon great I was looking for. I've attached a photo of the pulled product.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and help. This is where the learning curve gets shortened and is the greatest value of these forums.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PULLED-2