Skip to main content

Reply to "Smoked Almonds"

I just completed a "shootout" article on cold smoking, and compared a DIY soldering iron smoker, a hand held food smoker called The Smoking Gun, and a Cookshack.

I smoke a lot of almonds too, and recently I've found cold smoking gives a better taste. I use two recipes. One is similar to what Pags posted, and that's what I used for the test. The other is loaded with honey and maple syrup.

I have had trouble with the latter recipe in hot smoking. The nuts tend to caramelize and can get a little nasty tasting with the char. With cold smoking plain for about 20 hours they are mild but clearly smoked, and then the gooey stuff can be added and cooked in the Cookshack at 225 for a couple of hours and come out clean and tasting perfect. The recipe I used was more of a test against other equipment because those can be hot smoked easily.

What I found was that the soldering iron smoker gimmicks work just fine if 1) your food absorbs smoke in 2 hours or so, or you can let it go as long as you like if 2) you don't mind spending a small fortune on wood chips. The Cookshack is a bit of a pain with the ice and all, but the economy is unprecedented. I was able to hold it at 72 degrees.

The hand held Smoking Gun is a very cool gadget. It's not good for anything but short term flavoring, but for putting a smoke flavor on anything from shellfish to a salad it works great.

I get my almonds at Costco, $10 for 3 lbs.

Here's the article if you'd like more details.