Skip to main content

Reply to "smoked chipotles"

Howdy gang.....Hate to miss out on a topic like this,but the box had been down.....Gave me more time to focus on cooking and entertaining, though.....It sounds like ya'll have gotten a pretty good handle on it.....They are too thick skinned to sun dry on chicken wire,like some peppers....And then smoke........The dehydrater/smoker would be perfect.......I have not taken mine all the way in my CS yet,but use it to finish.......I stem and cut mine in half,put in single layers on pizza screens that have been Pam sprayed and place on all my oven racks......I set it at 125� and leave overnight.....Those of you that have convection ovens can use that....You can also leave the oven door cracked just slightly or try it closed....In the morning they should be shriveled and pretty dry to the touch......I then place in the CS with a couple oz. of pecan and set it to 150�.....I open it at around 2 hours,check the smoke,handle a few of them,and eat a piece from each rack......If they need more smoke and more drying,I add another ounce of wood and close back up.....I check again in 2hrs..and do the same.......I use only reds,full and firm.....They have a lot of moisture and sugar.....Depending on how much you dried them in the first stage,will dictate how long in the cookshack.....Your use for them will dictate how much to dry them......Grinding to a powder means more drying.......Making sauces[ an adobo, basically means a sauce of your choice] doesn't require as much.....You can FS them and they will last forever in the freezer or even the refrigerator.....I FS mine in pint widemouth jars and leave them in the pantry. Cool