Skip to main content

Smoking Temps on PG1000

I'm pretty sure this thread will end with "Call Cookshack on Monday"... But here goes.

I've been smoking a huge 18# brisket (burntends are on now) and ran into a problem with the PG1000 running way too hot.

I'm using CS/FE Oak pellets.

Last night I set it at 200 deg with LHT 10 HHT 30. I gave it some time to settle in... and regardless of what I did it ran at 250-260 degrees (confirmed with 2 mavericks and the hood thermo. I don't usually use 2 mavs, just wanted a 2nd opinion after I started noticing this.)

The HHT was NEVER kicking in (telling me the control board was reading high temp as well) so I turned the LHT to 5 knowing this is a LEAN fire thinking that maybe I could get it down in the low 200s. No dice. Pretty much ran 240-250 regardless. Then finally after 7 horus... fire out... I restarted set at 250 LHT 10 HHT 30 and called it good. Ran at about 250-260 without any problems.

Currently running at 225 LHT 10 HHT 30 with the burntends on and temp is consistently in the 275 range.

I've never had this problem before on the PG 1000. I've cooked at sub 200 several times and had no issue.

Options:
1) I got pellets made from a "super tree" that was collecting extra BTU
2) The fans regulating the fire aren't working right
3) ALL my thermometers are malfunctioning
4) Something else

I think tomorrow I will clear out all the pellets and replace to rule out the "super tree"... Any other ideas?

Nordy

PS - The brisket turned out great... I did a "SmokinOkie" test for the dinner party tonight. 2 briskets one foiled one not. One injected, one not... one on a SMO20 one on the PG1000. Too many variables I know... but will be interesting to see the "winner"
Original Post