Skip to main content

Reply to "Smoking Temps on PG1000"

Still need some help...

Finally got around to swapping out pellets...

I cleaned out all ash and all of the FE/Cookshack Oak pellets I was previously using.

I put some FE/Cookshack Hickory pellets in the hopper and started it up with settings:
Temp 180
LHT 10
HHT 30

Grill is empty with 2 temp probes one in the back middle indirect (just under the pit probe) and the other is front middle indirect.

Started up and went to 250.. no biggie... Let out some heat (not patient enough to let it settle out) and temp went to about 200 deg. HHT never kicked in. About an hour later both probes are reading 232-238degrees and have been for at least the past 30 min.

This is frustrating... Any ideas on what is causing this problem? I'm very hesitant to set LHT at 5 since I've had some problems with a fire that lean. And in the past I've had no problems running at 180-190 with the above settings. Seems crazy that I cant even run cool enough to cook at the "most common temp" of 225.

Again this is new. I've had no problems in the past. Have cooked a lot at low and high temps 2-4 times a week for the past 3 months...

Any ideas?

Nordy

ADDENDUM - Now that I post this... it's dropped to a steady 225-228 - Better but still too high... Maybe it would run lower with a hunk of meat in there...
Last edited by nordy