Skip to main content

Reply to "Some Questions"

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about the water pan thing. I don't use a water pan in the Smokette every time I cook. I used one during the 1st break-in/seasoning because that's what the instructions say to do, but every time someone mentions that, everyone jumps to the conclusion that they're using a water pan every time, when in reality, they're only using it once, per the instructions. I included that quote because I thought it would make that clear, but that didn't seem to work either. I think the instructions are very clear, they just cause some misunderstanding when mentioned on the forum.

I hereby promise never to use the words water pan in a post again. Or the f-word. Big Grin

I'll stop using the meat pulling back from the bone as a test for being done. I remember Smokin saying something in another post that I can't find now, that when using the Smokette, the meat often won't pull back. The lack of pull back is probably due to the moisture retention when cooking in the Smokette. I'm guessing that the meat pulling back from the rib ends is probably due to the meat drying out in smokers with a lot more drying air flow than the Smokette, or being cooked on a grill. I have been wrong before however.

I'm going to try to do a St. Louis cut on my ribs next time. It looks like that would help them cook more evenly.

Thanks for the help. Sorry about the rant.

Pat