Skip to main content

Reply to "Spatchcocked Turkey"

I just wanted to post an update on my spatchcocked turkey.  I scrapped the entire plan to experiment with some of the Cookshack drippings in a gravy.  I just didn't feel like dealing with that while also whipping up potatoes and getting the stuffing out of the oven.  I did a 10 lb turkey at 275 degrees with 2 ½ oz of pecan wood.  The seasoning was the just salt and pepper with softened butter under the skin and olive oil over the skin as shown in the YouTube video shared above.

It is interesting that I had the opposite experience than @jay1924 in that my turkey finished quicker than I expected.  I will post a picture of my timer below, but I hit 165 in the breast at 2 hours and 22 minutes.  The only difference is I didn't have any sort of heat deflector in the Cookshack and Jay used a 9 x 13 drip pan on a shelf under the turkey.  I would expect that to make a difference but it is surprising that it sounds like it took his turkey almost twice as long to finish.

The turkey tasted great.  The breast meat was moist, although next time I will probably pull the turkey at 160 at the breast.  I liked the pecan but I think I will try a softer fruit wood next time.   I was thinking apple wood but peach sounds interesting to try too.

It is hard to imagine you could fit a turkey any larger than 12 lbs spatchcocked in an SM025, SM045, or SM066.  Here is a picture below of a 10 lb turkey on the Cookshack rack.  12 lbs might be really pushing it.  The good thing is I could easily 3 or more 10-lbers in the SM066 if I need to cook for a crowd.  But because most of us prefer the dark meat in my house, I would probably just put turkey thighs on the other shelf/ shelves next time and let the healthier dorks fight for the white meat.

cs1cs2cs3cs4

Attachments

Images (4)
  • cs1: On the Cookshack rack
  • cs2: Lots of additional room
  • cs3
  • cs4: Done at 2:22