Skip to main content

Reply to "Struggling with jerky"

First of all that's way too much wood for an SM008, that was my first smoker, 2 oz of wood is all you need, and I'd suggest you try some apple or oak instead. I used to use my wife's Weight Watchers scale until I got that the strips of wood I was using were about 1 oz. each. Only time I'd go over 2 oz. of wood with the SM008 is if I did a bunch of meat, say well over 10 pounds. It's a small unit and that much wood is MORE THAN enough.

2nd I've used and only used Bill Vice's method and doggone it always makes the best jerky. I make my own cowboy rub and use all the liquid seasonings he calls for. I puree the mixture in my blender, it breaks up all the bits of garlic and onion powder that want to clump up, it also gives me the opportunity to puree a small chunk of fresh ginger in my marinade...

Again use 2 oz of wood, no more. Only for a huge pork butt or brisket would I go 3 oz... Hickory is real strong tasting wood... Bill Vice's demo video is priceless... Hey Bill I'll take some of your venison man !! LOL