Skip to main content

Reply to "Sweet Baby Ray's Sauce"

I’m also in the camp that doesn’t care for SBR’s. It reminds me of sweet ketchup with a few spices and a heavy dose of liquid smoke. That said, the Kansas City style sweet BBQ sauce seems to be the favorite of many, especially those with youngsters at home.

Also, I have trouble believing this statement from the article “Years later that would become what it still is today: The top selling barbecue sauce in America.” “Top selling” to me means it’s the # 1 seller in the country, and I’d be willing to place a significant bet that it isn’t. Looks like another example of sloppy journalism without fact checking.

Beyond that, the list of the “Top 100 BBQ Sauces In The World” is kind of mystifying to me starting with the criteria:

1. Competition’s Won – What competitions is he referring to, BBQ comps such as those sanctioned by KCBS and others, or sauce comps? If it’s the former are winners required to disclose the brand of the sauce they use, assuming they even use a sauce? Bottom line – Is this info even available?
2. Total Retail Sales – This info might be available for brands from large producers that are public corporations, but good luck finding it for the small private companies which make up the vast majority of the list.
3. Teams winning with the sauce – Same as # 1.
4. Overall Reputation – This is so subjective that it’s pointless considering.
5. Number of places stocked internet and retail – Similar to # 2, but a little easier to research.

If the list is accurate all I can think is that the author has way too much free time on his hands. It looks more like a case of an individual self-promoting himself as an expert on a subject to sell more of whatever it is he has to sell.

I would guess that national grocery chains and prominent regional chains are responsible for 80%-85% for the BBQ sauce sales volume in the country. Flipping that around, 80%-85% of the brands on the list never get to see those sales channels. At best, aside from the internet, their products might be sold through independent grocers, mini-chains, or specialty shops located in the area of their operations, or sold out of the back of a truck at local comps.

With regard to the sales volume and number of places stocked criteria, I would think that Kraft’s Original, which for years has controlled nearly 50% of the BBQ sauce market segment, would be # 1. The BBQ sauces from Hunt’s and Heinz wouldn’t be far behind. It’s noticeably odd that all 3 are omitted from the list.

Just my 2 cents. End of rant (It’s a slow Friday afternoon at the office).