Skip to main content

Reply to "Tonight, wings"

Smokin, this was an experiment for me, and, frankly, I was surprised the result was not just edible, but delicious. I had smoked wings in the 009 a few times at 250* for 2 hours, and then grilled the wings--the result was such that I gave up on wings. With the new 025, I decided to try again. I read through the recipes on this forum, and the protocol was wildly different--60 mins., 75 minutes, 80 mins., 4 hrs.; 2 oz., 4 oz., 6 oz. hickory. Since I didn't like the result of my earlier attempts, I decided to hit the rough-median of what I recently read--3 hrs., and 4 oz. of hickory. I took your long-ago advice to not open the smoker, and just let them go, figuring I'd adjust the next time. I didn't use a probe to check temperature, but did a "tooth" test before frying. I agree with Jay--they were too dark in color; I don't know if that was the result of too much wood, or the Butt Rub I used. But, even at 3 hours and frying for a minute, the wings were tender, juicy, and crisp. Next time, I'm going to use less wood, a home-made rub, and drop back to 2.5 hours. I'll try your "chill" suggestion, and I'll post new results, which won't be long, because the 34 wing parts I just did are not going to last long!