Skip to main content

Reply to "Traveling on an airplane with 'Que"

I've done this many time traveling between a house in the Chicago area, and a second one in Sarasota, FL. Previously smoked briskets and pulled pork butt, fresh specialty sausages, fresh fish (whole-steaks-filets), even items such as goose liver pate, goose fat, and God knows what else. All double wrapped in HD foil, hard frozen, then put into one or more of those bags designed to keep foods cold or warm for an extended period of time along with a couple of frozen ice packs saved over from shipments of fresh fish, or something similar. From there, the bags go into my roll-aboard bag which goes into the overhead bin above my seat.

Like Icubed and SmokinMAINEiac, said your flight time plays a big role. Is it a direct flight, or is there a connection? You also have to consider driving times between your originating and destination airports. Finally consider time spent at the airports, especially if you have checked luggage you need to wait for at your destination. One factor that you have to consider, but can't predict, is possible flight delays.

As an example, I make this trip once a month using one of two routes depending upon flight times, airfare, and my need to accumulate frequent flyer miles or segments to maintain elite flight status with my primary airline, American. The approximate travel times are as follows:

Short route - Drive time to Ohare-30 minutes. Time spent at Ohare-1 to 1.5 hours. Flight time to Tampa-2.5 hours. Drive time to Sarasota-1 hour. Total travel time-5 to 5.5 hours.

Longer route - Drive time to Ohare-30 minutes. Time spent at Ohare-1 to 1.5 hours. Flight time to Miami 3 hours. Layover time in Miami-1 to 1.5 hours. Flight time to Tampa-1 hour. Drive time to Sarasota-1 hour. Total travel time-7.5 to 8.5 hours.

On the longer route, I spend my layover time in Miami at American's Admirals Club. If the time there becomes extended for some reason, I'll have the bartender put the meat bag in the beer cooler.

I've carried frozen meats like this in both directions more times than I can remember, and have never had a problem.