Skip to main content

Reply to "Turkey Reports - 2002"

I was a fist time Turkey Smoker this Tanksgiving. After many e-mails and lots of replys I finally got the ole birds SMOKED!! Needless to say I was terrified I wouldn't do them right!! You see I have had my Cook Shack Smoker for anout 3 years and have successfully smoked Ribs & Brisket many times but NEVER a Turkey. We decided to smoke the bird this year along with another one for a friend. Well, the Tuesday before Turkey Day I got the BOOK out and started reading on how to smoke turkeys. Much to my dismay I couldn't really understand how to do it and if I could smoke two at the same time, how much wood, how many hours for two large birds and had absolutely no idea what brine was and STILL DON'T. (The turkeys I had to smoke weighted 15 pounds each.) Well, by Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, I started e-mailing Cook Shack begging for help. I was told how to get on line with Cook Shack and register and start asking anyone who would talk to me in the open forum. I began getting e-mails from Smokin Okie. Thank You Sir!! For the help. I did not use your info to smoke the birds because I did not know what brine was but I am sure I will try it next time. You did assure me I could smoke both of the birds at the same time, how much wood to use and how long I needed to cook them, that is, once you found out how big my smoker was. That info I managed to leave out of my first e-mail to you. What a dunce, guess I just thought you would know, duh. Anyway, here is how I cooked the birds...
After cleaning the birds and drying them I injected them with Butter, lots of it, then I rubbed the out side of the birds with real mayoniase and put a little on the inside of the cavities. Then I put them in the smoker along with 8 oz. if Apple wood. I smoked them for 12 hours. They turned out GREAT! Really moist and juicy. Well... this is my Turkey Report and the end to end all nightmares. What did I learn.........never, never, never wait till the Tuesday before Thanksgiving to find out how to smoke your turkey and especially one for a friend. RIGHT!
Thank You Smokin Okie and Cook Shack for all your help.
MamaD