Skip to main content

Reply to "Turkey Reports - 2005"

I did three smoked 13 pounders brined for 18 hours with salt, maple syrup, brown sugar and garlic. After brining I injected a half melted butter half maple syrup mixture (approximatly 1 cup) through out the bird and seasoned with garlic and pepper in the cavity and on the skin. One of these turkeys went to a friend and the other two went to my parents, everyone said said it was outstanding, the best they ever had.

The next night my wife wanted to do a second Thanksgiving that she could cook all the trimmings for but wanted something diferent done to the turkey so I decided to try a smoked/fried turkey and it was fantastic, even jucier then the smoked birds the night before.

I brined and injected a 13 pound bird as above and then smoked at 250 degrees with more hickory than usual due to the short time in the smoker(about 5oz). I also used a wire stand to stand the bird up so smoke would pass through the cavity of the bird.
I pulled the bird from the smoker at 1.5 hours and put a Polder in the breast and deep fried for one half hour until the turkey was at 165 degrees. The smoke flavor was present but not as strong as a full smoked bird but with the taste of the butter/maple syurp injection it was fantastic. The best turkey I have ever tasted and the leftovers were moist and very tasty.

For fire safty reasons I recommend the electric deep fryer as opposed to the propane fryers. The electric fryer can be used safely indoors, no odor or smoke problem and with no open flame there is no fire danger. The directions for the smoker even say it is recommended for indoor use. They sell for between $89 and $169. The one I have been using the last two years is made by Masterbuilt and available by doing a search on the web for "Masterbuilt Turkey Fryer".

One last note...The maple syurp will slighlty discolor the white meat but none of my guests seem to mind it.