Skip to main content

Reply to "Turkey Reports - 2012"

Two turkeys for two different dinners:
1) SM25
2) 12.5# Sam's house brand with 8% of something injected
3) Smokin's Holiday Brine w/one can Guinness and fresh herbs added. Brined 36 hrs, rinse, air dry 8 hours, butter and Plowboy's Yardbird Rub under and on top of skin. Orange and onion quarters in cavity. Butter soaked cheesecloth first two hours. One apple and one hickory about 1.5 oz each.
4) 225* one hour, 275 two hours, 300 final 25 minutes.
5) All moist. Could taste rub and herbs. Thought it could use a little more smoke flavor. skin was not crisp, but that's OK. Looked great, but no picture (sorry).

1) Amerique (brother-in-law's)
2) 12.5# Fresh, cage free, no injection from butcher (Cost 3X Sam's turkey)
3) Smokin's Holiday Brine w/ one can Guinness, one quart chicken stock, fresh herbs plus water to make one gallon. Brined 48 hrs and 6 hours air dry. Online oil and Yardbird rub under and on top of skin. Orange, apple and onion quarters in cavity. Butter soaked cheesecloth after first 90 minutes (Thought it would allow more smoke flavor, but don't think it mattered. 4 oz apple wood.
4) time same as above
5)White meat not as moist as I would like. (Both taken up to 160 internal). Flavor was good, but not as good as first bird. Liked appearance of first bird better with using cheesecloth first. This bird may have benefited if I injected something myself. I almost did, but wanted to see how it would come out without.