Skip to main content

using my SM008 on European 240v

Hey everyone, I'm a long time lover of my Smokette, and I recently shipped her to Germany after using her for four or five years in Texas, where I was just tickled with the results.

Technical question: If I use a transformer to drop the Euro voltage from 240 to 110, and yet the hz remain at 60 rather than 50, could this in anyway damage my unit?

Also, if my unit is rated at 500 watts, does the unit draw this much power continuously? The reason I ask is that I can assign a 500 watt transformer for cookshack duty only if it does not exceed this amount, if it does, than the fuse will go. I know I should probably try and find a 600 watt transformer, but commercially, it seems only 400, 500, 1000, 1600 and 2000 are available.

Anyone else use their Cookshack overseas? How will the different cycles effect the thermocouple?

Just some questions from a long-time Smokette owner who now finds himself in Germany.

P.S. No worries about the wood, my friend in North Florida regaled me with a couple of hickory logs that I was able to pack into our household goods shipment, should keep me smoking for a couple of years.

Thanks,
Mark
Original Post