Skip to main content

Reply to "Wagyu Brisket"

@maxq @cal 2 @kengolden The results are in!

Process: I smoked a 13.3 lb Snake River Farm Wagyu gold brisket at 240F with 4oz hickory for a total smoke time of 11h 15m in my Smokette Elite (fat-side down). Removed from smoker once thickest part of flat probed tender and registered 192F. I injected the flat the night prior about 8 hours before smoking. No foiling at the stall or anything fancy... just set at 240F and let it ride until done.  As mentioned above, it was cooking really fast in the beginnig but leveled out once it hit 170F. Once done I removed from smoker, FTCd for two hours then served. 

Results: Amazing flavor but the flat was completely dried out (story of my life)!  And this was a beautifully marbled wagyu gold brisket folks. I did the finger test where you take a slice and drape it over your finger and it would break in half / crumble under its own weight. On a brighter note, I tried Burnt Ends for the first time using this recipe: https://forum.cookshack.com/to...6925015371#482105172 and they were lights out! 

Troubleshooting / Questions: Why do you think the flat was dried out? I started probing it for tender once the thickest part registered 182F and it didn't quite feel like butter until it hit around 192F (I probed about every 30 min). Something important to note... the majority of the flat was registering anywhere from 200F - 205F when I pulled out of the smoker... there was just this one stubborn part in the thickest area (near the fat seam that connects the point) that was roughly 10 degrees lower than the rest of the flat, so I waited until that area was tender / felt like butter which was around 192F. 

My instinct tells me that maybe that the temperature probe which was ~10 degrees lower than rest of flat was hitting some of the point fat seam and throwing the temperature off. But still, I was probing for tenderness frequently and didn't pull until it felt like butter which would theoretically mean that the temp reading shouldn't matter. Maybe I need to redefine my definition of what butter feels like!

Interested to hear what you guys think.