Skip to main content

Reply to "Whatcha Shackin'?"

Did a whole prime packer brisket from Sam's club (under $3 per lb.!). It had a fairly thick flat and a huge point, about 14.5 lbs in the cryovac. After I trimmed the surface fat on top to about 1/4 inch, and took out some heavy fat from between the point and flat on the sides, it weighed about 12.5 lbs. I used a medium rub of Oak Ridge Black Ops Brisket Rub. This was an overnight cook, based on IdahoMike's prescription. I rubbed the brisket about two hours before putting it in the smoker (SM066) with about 3.5 oz white oak in two chunks around 8:00 pm at 200 set temp. I ignored it all night until about 9:00 am, at which time the probe said 151F. I then boosted the temp to 250. Around 1:00 pm I was alarmed to see the probe read 180F. I thought it must be wrong, so I probed around a bit with my thermapen and found the true temp in the middle of the thick part of the flat was 175F. I moved the smoker probe and kept going, noticing that it was in the stall at 175 - 177 for about two more hours. At 4:00 I probe tested it at 190F, seemed a bit tough at the thickest part pf the brisket, so I let it go to 195 when it probed pretty tender. I pulled and FTC'd it at 5:00 pm for about 2 hours. Out of the smoker, it was very dark bark, and a lot of juicyness, and it wiggled a bit when I handled it.

Result was a slightly overcooked dry flat, on the thin end, but juicy and moist under the point. Quite good flavor. The point needs a bit of trim on the residual surface fat before I do burnt ends, which I expect to be fabulous. The dry flat slices will go to Texas chili (Wick Fowler's spice blend) for summer fun on hot dogs.

My takeaway lessons: 1) Pull the brisket when the flat is tender and don't worry about the point being a bit stiff - you are going to cook it further to render more fat for burnt ends anyway. 2) Overnight cooks keep you sane if you have a smoker you can set and forget. Love my Amerique.

(Sorry no pics.)