Skip to main content

Reply to "Whatcha Shackin'?"

Well this is most likely my last huzzah around here...

Wrapped up the weeklong process of "pastrami" (in quotes because I didn't steam it) yesterday.  Last weekend bought a 5 pound brisket section.  Was hoping just for a trimmed flat, but there was a section of point too.  Trimmed out most of the fat and went ahead and separated the piece of point meat.

Applied a dry cure with Morton's tender quick as the base.  Put in a vacuum bag and in the fridge for 5 days.

Yesterday morning rinsed real well and soaked in clean water for an hour.  Dried and rubbed while my PG500 was coming to temp.  Had some fresh coriander seeds from my herb garden that I used in the rub which was cool.

Smoked at 225 degrees with the point sitting on top of the flat.  Once internal temp hit 165, wrapped in butcher paper.  Continued to cook at 225 until IT was 185ish.  Wrapped couple layers of heavy duty foil around the butcher paper and stored in cold oven until dinner time.

Sliced up, slapped between some homemade bread with some Kraut.  Was absolutely perfect.  Some slices had a little tug.  When I reheat the leftovers I will steam them which will help that situation.  Great color, great bark, great flavor.  That fresh coriander really popped!

PXL_20210814_222603033PXL_20210814_222617815

Good luck to y'all!  I'm deleting my account after I post this.  Too much garbage around here these days.  Kudos to those of you that continue to try to keep this a positive and helpful environment.  I'll still reference the forum when I need some advice, but actively monitoring it and participating in discussions doesn't interest me anymore.

Most of y'all probably don't care about any of this...  Good news is that I don't care that you don't care...

Cheers!

Attachments

Images (2)
  • PXL_20210814_222603033
  • PXL_20210814_222617815