Skip to main content

Reply to "Which cookbook ?"

Smokin is right, but that is not news.

Raichlen's book is really not about BBQ as CS people would call it. It is more the USA definition. That means grillin, smokin, and everything in between. But that still makes it a good reference for what you might want to make.

For instance all the salmon recipes that are listed in the book from this area I might call barbecued because that's what the locals would call it. Most of it is grilled, normally over an alder wood fire, some is hot smoked or kippered over the same, some is planked on cedar over a gas grill. None of these I would call BBQ, and especially Q. However finished with some high ginger thicken teriyaki sauce, or just plain, it is great.

BBQ salmon to me would be cooked at 200-225 degrees in my CS with a short dense shot of apple or cherry.

Smoked salmon as it is available here is pretty much all cooked, kippered, or hot smoked (all different ways to say the same thing). Cold smoked, or traditional Indian smoked salmon (under 100 degrees) will keep without refrigeration because it is almost dried. Not an easy thing to do with our modern ways, but I'm still working on it with my cold smoking baffle.

Anyway if you buy BBQ USA know what you are getting. Maybe like Jack, someone will want some northwest barbecued salmon, so he can fire up the FEC with some alder pellets, or a pellet mix, and give them what they want at a price that will make him happy, and a quality they will not normally be able to find in the NW. Cool Smiler Wink