Skip to main content

Reply to "Who got COOKSHACK for Christmas"

I make my own cowboy rub and I got a great deal on Cookshacks line of rubs last year so sometimes use their rubs. But I NEVER rub ribs for more than about 1 hour, Cookshack and most commercial rib rubs have SALT in them in some form, and leaving a salted rub on too long will make the ribs taste HAMMY, I learned that here. Pull membrane, trim any excess fat, apply rub and put them in the smoker. I too tried the foil thing, frankly I go 225, meat side down about 2 1/2 hours, meat side up 1 hour, glaze with sauce and let cook another 1/2 hour. A lot depends on the meatiness of the ribs and the load you're putting in your smoker. I have an SM150, pretty good sized rig, I never put more than 2 oz. of wood in. For ribs I like using maple or maple and apple wood. Brisket I like some red oak or hickory or a little of both, for pork butt some maple, apple or red oak. Never more than 2 oz. My smoker has a pretty decent patina inside and you don't need that much wood with a Cookshack. Keep good notes and change only one thing at a time, you'll get it right, trust me it's The Bomb !!