Skip to main content

Reply to "Who got COOKSHACK for Christmas"

Thanks cal! Although sometimes I do use foil... To wrap up the leftovers! Yep Smokin' has taught a lot of us here, as have a lot of others. I seem to recall reading a LOT of cal's posts and I still do. Wink But like everyone has said, go easy on the wood til you figure out your personal preference for a smoke profile. Remember, you're just using the wood for flavor not for heat and a little goes a long way. I usually like to use a fruit wood for ribs, apple, cherry, peach etc.

And I too only leave the rub on for 30-60 minutes before placing in the smoker. Haven't really settled on any one rub yet. Way too many to try, but I do have a few favorites that I re-purchase from time to time.

As for rib racks, nothing wrong with them. Little harder to sauce the ribs near the end. I'll use mine if I'm making a lot of ribs. Only problem I've run into a couple times was when the smoker was loaded with meat, it' wouldn't come up to temp. I think I had 7 racks, two tri-tips and a pan of beans in there one time.

Once you get the hang of your new smoker, you'll be making a lot of new friends that want to come over. Welcome to the Forum!