Skip to main content

Reply to "Whole Chicken"

quote:
Originally posted by HARLEY:
[qb]You said to low temp.and i understand but i dont think the smokette goes to 275 but to 250 is that enough.and it looks like you placed cheese cloth on the bird and you soaked it in butter,do you resoak after a while or is once enough,and are you saying the brine dosent help the skin only the meat?I really love this forum the help and fellowship is awsome thanks all of you.[/qb]

You mentioned a 150 in your post so I went that route. Yes, I'd go the max on a Smokette, set for 250. I only soaked the cheese cloth and then took it off later in the smoke. I'll have to go back to the post and/or my notes. As far as the brine and affecting the skin. Hadn't been asked that so don't know the specific answer. There is certainly sugar in most brines (usually brown or white) and that might tend to have an effect if too much is left on the skin. If that's a worry, I'd just make sure you wash off the skin so no residual sugars remain on the outside. Enough will have penetrated and after all, we're just eating the meat, not the skin...right?

Happy to help.

Smokin'