Skip to main content

Reply to "Whole Pork Leg Questions?"

Jay, it seems the term Leg, Butt and Shoulder get intermixed. So it still isn't exactly clear what I have!  I have to unwrap it and get a good look, if it is more lean or has a good level of fat and marbling.  All I know is it will be good! This morning I'll start my dry brine. This is for dinner on Friday evening (24th) so I have time to maybe start it late Thursday evening and wrap it up by early Friday afternoon.

Meantime here is some more info on the subject:

About whole pork leg

The whole pork leg comes from the hind leg of a hog and sometimes goes by the name "fresh ham." You can purchase a whole pork leg or half a leg with the bone in or removed. A butcher can cut the whole pork leg into shank, center, or rump portions from the lower leg, center, or near the sirloin.

The names hog, pig, and boar often refer to the same animal, though with some minor distinctions. The term "boar" refers to a domesticated un-castrated male pig and describes the wild pig or boar that people hunt for sport and food. A wild boar can be male or female. The term "hog" describes a domesticated pig that weighs more than 120 pounds.

In most cases, people buy the whole pork leg to roast, either at a family gathering or some type of celebration. You can de-bone the whole leg yourself and cut it into smaller roasting pieces, or you can slice it into thin steaks, known as escalopes. The whole pork leg contains very little fat and, if not appropriately roasted, will dry out. Many people cure whole pork legs themselves after portioning them into smaller sizes. You can dry-cure or wet-cure a whole pork leg. When cured, the meat is called ham.

The terms "hock" and "shank" refer to the front leg of the hog and are often confused for part of the whole pork leg. Hocks come from the meaty lower portion of the hog's front leg. The shank comes from the upper front leg of the hog. Smoking these cuts imparts a distinctive flavor used in many stews, soups, and stocks.

The whole pork leg and its sub-primal cuts are the least expensive of the entire hog. This is because the whole pork leg is constantly used, which makes the meat tough and requires slower cooking techniques or curing to achieve tender results.

Essentially, you have only one type of whole pork leg. Usually, the whole pork leg is butchered as a primal cut and sold fresh, either to a butcher or grocer. Butchers and grocers sell the whole pork leg as one piece as ordered or cut it into sub-primal cuts for resale.
Last edited by Flyingman