Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not bad. Albertsons had babybacks on a 3 day sale for $2.88. Best price in a long time. Since Publix just bought 49 of the Fl. stores, we won't be seeing prices like that anymore. Picked up 5 to go with the 5 in the freezer. Winn-Dix tomorrow to do the butts. Sure wish I had a coffin freezer.
My wife brought home bags of Alder, Maple, Apple and pecan chunks for dad's day. They also had Bad Byron's Butt Rub at a decent price so she added a jug of that.
Looks like I've gotta get busy Smokin.
I'm not sure what brand loinbacks Sam's here has been selling lately, but I don't like the way they are being cut. They are tapered down to a small end that is only about 1 1/2". I normally don't use foil until I take them off, but on these, I've been having to foil about the first 3-4" on the small end to keep them from burning.

That said, they have been selling Prairie Fresh spares which are excellant. I cooked one 3-pack and then when back and bought 2 cases for the freezer. I wasn't sure how long it would be before the switched suppliers.
I saw something on one of the financial programs I watch that might have something to do with this. I don't follow hogs.. but, essentially the point was that it is getting so expensive to feed hogs that hog farmers/ranchers (?) are getting rid of them very early.. which would result in a glut of pork on the market (or in frozen storage).. after which the price will skyrocket.

Comments???
That's your ethanol craze. When you figure polution from both production, getting it to market and use, ethanol polutes more than crude oil. Plus it's more expensive to produce and drives up the price of other food products by taking the corn to produce it out of the food and feed market.

As long as the Dumbocrats are in charge, it's only going to get worse. I'm sorry to admit it, but McCain isn't any better when it comes to energy.

To say we can't drill our way out of it, and then say you want to sue OPEC for controlling the amount of oil on the market is the ultimate in stupidity.

Rants over; night all.
quote:
Originally posted by Smokenque:
I saw something on one of the financial programs I watch that might have something to do with this. I don't follow hogs.. but, essentially the point was that it is getting so expensive to feed hogs that hog farmers/ranchers (?) are getting rid of them very early.. which would result in a glut of pork on the market (or in frozen storage).. after which the price will skyrocket.

Comments???

I have a comment or two.
Selling a market hog 5-10% lighter will put 5-10% less pork on the market. That would force the packers to bid more for them. Trouble is, the packers dock heavily for light hogs, so they have the producer raising them heavy. We can maybe trim a few pounds off though.
When I started raising pigs fulltime 30+ years ago the desired packers weight range was 190-220#.
Today it's 240-290#. Ever wonder why today's pork taste like crap compared to your earlier years? It's older, leaner, drier, and the packer thinks it needs to be pumped full of their solution crap so they can sell water with their pork for $40/gallon.
They like the bigger pigs because they can run more tonnage through their plants at the same chain speed (pigs per hour) and labor force.

There are so many hogs out there in all the new barns you see, that the price is below breakeven. In March we had $35 hogs, which wouldn't be profitable at $2 corn.
I said it in '98 when hogs were bleeding red ink, and I'll say it today: The producer's greed by butchering the goose that laid the golden egg has caused this mess. To much supply, and not enough demand. They ain't the old mortgage lifters anymore.
Don't worry, I'm not going to challange a biofuels rant from anybody. For sure when they come from an oil state.
I would have to warn you though, that MN was the leader in developing, producing, and mandating renewable fuel. I've been promoting and using it forever; since it was a fantasy that made everybody happy thinking about. Kind of like hydrogen fueled transportation is now. Give it time, that will soon be attacked in a lynch mob fashion too.

I'll stick to talkin hogs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.