Skip to main content

I am an 008 owner for over 10 years, and use it at least once a month.
I put a 9lb butt in about 7:00PM last evening and only checked it this morning at 5:00AN, and to my surprise their was no powere to the smoker. I immediately checked the electrical outlet with a radio and the power is working fine, so I assume something is wrong with my smoker.
Any suggestions as to what's my problem?

The electric cord is in mint condition and shows no signs of ware.

OK, I cleaned out the smoker, plugged it back in and it works. Could it be that the foil on the floor or the foil from the smoker box (top) some how touched the heating element and shorted the electric?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What we love about CookShack is the quality of the product, customer service and friendliness, but, most of all love the forams and all the information it provides; not to mention my families not hesitating to ask me to crank up my 008. It's a tough job, but someone has to put in the long hours to satisfy my group, and I am happy to do it!
Dave.. now that is a surprise.. I have had foil touching the element and it never "shorted". In fact, that should NOT (read.. NOT) happen. If it shorted, that would be a shock hazard. The element is connected to the inside of the smoker box.. so if the foil shorts it.. the metal box would also. Now, I guess it's very likely that if you had too much foil around the element, it might suck heat from the element and not allow it to burn the wood properly.. but, i'd doubt it would affect the box temp.

But, the element is actually inside the metal coil you can see.. and it's "insulated from that coil that it is encapsulated by with a non conductive material that can withstand the high temp of the nichrome wire as it heats up.

I'd still call Tony and double check if you haven't already. Guess you could have an intermittent connection behind the wall but he can help you figure it out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.