Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, the 009 is all stainless so it would be better. But, since you say it will be in the garage at all times(sounds like a smokey garage) then it shouldn't be a problem one way or another.

I suggest the 009 because smoking is like washing your car. IT WILL RAIN. All I do with my all stainless unit is keep the water from getting to the electronics and the smoke hole and I'm golden.
I live in MI too and have an 055. It sits year round on my back deck... out in the temps but not in the weather because of the roof extending over it. You should have no problems with an 008/009 as long as you keep the rain/snow off of it. Search the forum for what people do when they want to smoke while it is raining. Many use 4 tin cans on the top and place a board or other cover on the cans to keep the rain/snow out of the main panel. But you may also be able to leave your garage door open and place the 008/009 right at the edge of the opening and smoke that way. Might get too much smoke in the house... but then, maybe it would just the right amount of smoke.. Razzer
I built a small shed that my 008 sits in on my deck. The top has a hole in it to let the smoke escape and it has a metal elbow in it to prevent water from coming down the top onto the 008. I leave my 008 in its little shed even when cooking and it sits on my deck in Missouri year round with no problems.
I submitted the question to the CS sales team before I bought. They recommended getting all stainless if you live near the coast, otherwise it doesn't matter. You should be fine with either in Michigan. I got the stainless cause it looks cool. BTW, putting cans on top of your CS with a baking sheet on top makes a great weather shield, but you might want to use aluminum cans or lay down some tinfoil first or you will get rusty rings.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.