Skip to main content

I just started a 7lb brisket about 1/2 hour ago. I looked over and everything seemed ok, all of a sudden there was this lound bang.the 009 built up pressure and released this huge amount of pressure. I shut off the unit and opened the door. to my suprise everything was normal. So I closed the door and continued to cook away. My temp setting is 225* and I only have 3oz of wood and the vent was not blocked. I used the unit last night and cleaned it before using it today.

HAS anyone elese seen this Happen? Confused
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've had this happen a few times with my SM008. It definitely gets your attention if you happen to be within earshot.

In my experience, the "chuff" seems to happen more often when using wood chunks that have a good bit of bark attached to them.

Normally I try to minimize bark on the wood I put in the smoke box, but I got a bunch of apple chunks with my Smokette that are especially bark-y, with the stuff tenaciously attached to the core wood. Since I haven't figured out a good (that is, EASY) way to remove the bark on this stuff, and I don't want to waste the wood, I just put up with the chuffing.
These were my thoughts, posted awhile back.

"I'm thinking that the explosion is caused by the occasional build-up of flammable gases released by the wood as it smolders but doesn't burn outright. The low heat and low oygen levels in the smoker don't normally allow them to burn with a flame. Mostly they go up the flue fast enough not to accumulate.

However, once in great awhile, the gas concentration builds up to a point where the proper ratio of gas to oxygen is just right and it goes off with a bang. Just like propane won't explode unless the correct mix of air and gas is reached: Too much or too little of either and no boom. I believe that's why our smokers don't pop too often. My AmeriQue hasn't blown once--maybe because it has two vents and smoke and gases moves through too fast.

May have to do with the type of wood. Not sure. Has anyone noticed which woods "bang" the most? Also, do new smokers belch more than older ones? Maybe the door seal gets better with time and gunk and won't let in enough air.

Wow! Way long answer. Anyone still reading?" Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Gregor:
Bob, I found that a wood chisel and hammer work wonders for removing bark. Just put the chisel at the edge of the bark where it meets the wood,give it a tap with the hammer and the bark usually falls right off!!

Thanks, Gregor. I did try the technique you described, but I used a light hammer and a beat-up old wide-blade screwdriver that I use for prying lids off paint cans and general leverage stuff like that. That was pretty ineffective.

I'm sure I've got an old wood chisel laying around somewhere. Maybe if I dress up the edge a bit the additional sharpness and longer edge will do the trick. I'll give it a try.
I had the puff and boom with my SM055 the second time I used it and it did it several times in a row. I had put some chips in the fire box I just figured the heat got just right and they tried to flame thus causing the pressure. Since I have only used chunks and have not had a repeat of the problem.
I get the "Bang" almost every time I use hickory wood my my SM045 and it scares the kraP out of me and the cat every time. I check the smoker right away and evrything is okay and the wood isn't burning but smoking well. So after the Bang we're good to go. I rarely see/hear the Bang when using apple or cherry but hickory is a guaranty for the Bang and it's very loud. The first I heard the Bang I was right in front of the smoker and immediately opened it up to see the wood was still on fire. After I put out the flame and put the wood back it was okay and worked without anymore banging. Weird...
I realize this reply is quite late but thought I would share my big bang story.
We have a (legal) Moonshine distilery in Culpeper, VA that also makes a pretty good VA whiskey. They flavor the whiskey with apple wood by soaking large "Tea Bags" of the thinly sliced wood chunks and then sell them for smoking wood after they're no longer good for the whiskey. Well, I bought a large bag of very wet wood chunks. I should have realized that they were saturated in raw whiskey but didn't think twice and went ahead and started a couple of butts and crawled back into bed. I no sooner fell back asleep and BANG! Eeker Went out and checked everything out and found not a darn thing wrong with my Super Smoker 040. I guess all of the alcohol flashed because the rest of the cook went just fine and I haven't had a repeat to date. Best pulled pork I've ever had.
Oh, I did air dry the rest of the wood, just to be safe...
Keep this in mind if you ever visit The Stillhouse at Belmont Farms, Culpeper VA. and leave with some bbq wood!
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.