Skip to main content

So,

Working on some photos this weekend (probably ribs) for the updated Rib 101

Wanted your inputs on FORMAT.

Here's what I'm thinking, in terms of section headings.

Will this be a good format for you?

Introduction (general SmokinOkie stuff)
Basics (to include photos/diagrams)
Preparation in detail(the before smoking stuff)
Food Safety (have to cover this)
Smoking (how to details)
Serving (what to do after smoking)
Hints & tips (tips and techniques)
FAQ (I have 100's of questions from the forum so I will include the most frequent
Recipes (a few to get people started) and what to do with leftovers
Resources (books and online resources)
Added: Step-by-step, print this and follow this section for successful ribs
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did think of one thing to add.

As I do then to make these guides long (if you doubt that, go read Brining 101) I'm going to add a heading at the end.

A simple "step by step" do this kind of list, without all the explainations, that if you use it, you'll get good ribs the first time out. Straight, to the point, something like that.

Of course, I'll put it at the end so you have to read all the rest of my thesis Big Grin
I agree, I would like to see a step by step section. However, I would like the section to be called “Quick guide”. Remember the last time you bought electronics. I did not read the user manual I only read the quick guide and then go to specific sections of the manual for further info.

I would like to see a “Type of ribs/rib selection”. A very simple section where you can explain BB vs spare vs LB. Maybe even a little bit about how to clean and trim the ribs and make them into St Louis cut when you bought the vacuum bag Costco spares. And a warning about ribs which were bought at the store and were treated with a salt solution.

Other things to mention in the appropriate section.
How to test for doneness including tooth pick test.
Time, I like your when it is done it is done statement BUT maybe explain that baby backs can be as fast as x hours but large spares can take x hrs.
Temp 225 vs 250.
Recipe section – would love to see two sauces and two rubs. Sweet sauce vs vinegar sauce. Sweet rub vs spicy rub.

I apologize for my insane amount of input. After I finished reading what I wrote I came up with the best solution. SmokinOkie please write a book. We can make donations when we get it from you. This would be a good way to thank you for all your hard work and insane dedication to the forum.

El
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
So,

Wanted your inputs on FORMAT.

Introduction (general SmokinOkie stuff)
    Basics (to include photos/diagrams)
    Preparation in detail(the before smoking stuff)
    Food Safety (have to cover this)
    Smoking (how to details)
    Serving (what to do after smoking)
    Hints & tips (tips and techniques)
    FAQ (I have 100's of questions from the forum so I will include the most frequent
    Recipes (a few to get people started) and what to do with leftovers
    Resources (books and online resources)
    Added: Step-by-step, print this and follow this section for successful ribs

Smokin',
I'm lovin' the idea of a new 101 for ribs.
The only ideas I might suggest are:
1) Possibly add a few subsections. These could even be under the FAQ. I'm thinking "Do's", "Don't" and "Up for debate".
2) I've never done them myself, and I understand the reasons why but..why not include beef ribs in this 101? I'd like to know more about them and I'm sure it might head off a few questions to the forum. I thought to suggest a few other ribs but squirrel, kangaroo and snake are probably a delicacy most would not appreciate.

Please take the following in the spirit it is intended. In case that was too vague, I meant helpful, humble and respectful. If you're looking for fresh eyes to review the nearly released 101, please consider this an offer. It takes an idiot to see things that the experts take for granted. My wife would agree I'm perfect for the job.

Grub
Start and end with:

There is NO STRAIGHT LINE to cook bbq,just as "no steps to talk to the opposite sex in a bar,have a great relationship,marry the perfect spouse,have a perfect marriage for the rest of your life,and children that are perfect".

Most new folks on the forum figure $500 for that cooker guarantees it,just like the earlier example. Roll Eyes
Hi Smokin-

I looked at your "ribs 101" again, and, I did not see "chapters" about "baby back ribs vs. St. Louis ribs. Or, how to cut your own St. Louis ribs from a slab of ribs like you get at Sams, or, even Publix here in Tampa. I guess what I mean is the anatomy of pork ribs for newbies. Also, maybe I misse3d it, but, some comments on the difference between "natural" pork ribs, and the processed ribs might be useful.

When you include all this stuff, you might have the definitive article (or small book?) on smoking ribs.

Along those lines, some comments on why smoking ribs (vs. high temp cooking)is real BBQ might be appropriate?
All inputs are appreciate, just remember, it WILL be long, but all of the comments ARE APPRECIATED. After all, I know how to do this, it's just important that YOU get what you need.

And yes, the original 101 was okay for a start, but it doesn't answer all the questions, hence the rewrite.

And it will take some time to write this up, I'm doing more of a new, complete version than an update.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.