Skip to main content

Store had 14 to 15 lb hunks of boneless top sirloin steak at 3.49 a lb. I have been following some excellent advice about picking one thing and getting it down and I have been working on half chickens. That's going good. I have to say after a month of owning a 008 and ten cooks I haven't had a bad meal or three. Anyway, I'm all set to smoke 6 halves of chicky when this hunk of meat caught my eye. It went in last night at 7. Had a big fat cap on it, dryed it, put rub all over and punched about 12 holes through the fat cap and popped in cloves of garlic. In a 235 to 165. Out and added slices of onion and about a cup of chopped green chilies. Foil and back in the oven and going to pull it out around 190 to 195 and have a great meal. Then the chicky goes in. Where have these smokers been all my life? Oh yeah, 4 am - 40 degrees and light snow in my yard.

Don
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sirloin is a fairly lean cut to be taking to 190+*. I think I would have taken it to medium at best and let it rest a few and chow down. I love a good sirloin steak & anything past medium-well has been tough as shoe-leather.

Let us know how goes it!

BTW -- Damar, I am originally from Michigan. We had friends living in the UP. It snowed on their high school graduation day in mid-June. "Stay in Alabama!" Big Grin
It is very tasty. I'm wondering if this wasn't one of those "clods" but I thought that was a shoulder thing. Anyway this was a big hunk of meat (15 lb) and had plenty of juice. I let it sit for only a half hour and I had people picking at the foil. Had to swat em away. I didn't realize two legged pests would be sneaking into the Q. Unwrapped, this bad boy seemed to split into two parts. I think I would cut it half next time cause the smoke and garlic is good around the first 2-3 inches/ then tails off a bit. Used some whiskey barrel pieces for the smoke, yeah, it was mt.

Spring is coming and ya know what? We still don't have many bugs.

Good luck all!

Don
Hey DRO...any chance that 15 pounder was two 7.5 pounders put together into a 'Costco-like/Sam's Club/like" twofer? I will buy sirloin tip roasts in their bulk packs...untrimmed, and un-repackaged. Just a thought.

Those guys I do like to start in a very hot oven to set the crust...and herb/spice rub... and then move to a slow oven/cooker/smoker to finish and remain juicy. Oh and stop active cooking at 122 degrees, and then let them sit in foil to come up to 'rare.' mmmmmm
Ya know, it sure seemed like one piece - fat cap covered the whole thing but I'm not really sure. When I was handling it it wasn't in two pieces but when done it sure slid off like two pieces. It came vacuum packed in one of those cyro packs looked like from the packer. Not repackaged by the store. The store was offering to cut the whole hunk into steaks. I'm not unhappy with the product but sure am willing to try putting another into a hot smoker. What temp are you talking about? I ain't got one of those fancy cookers now - just a lil ole dbl aught eight. I could definately see it come off a little more red. I mean ain't it all about putting yourself on the outside of some cow?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Don
I just put some worchestershire sauce all over it and then put some montreal steak seasoning on that I ground up a little finer, wrapped it in food wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Took it out the next day to let it sit on the counter for a few hours. Then put it in a 275* FEC and cooked it until it hit 125 internal. Deeeelicious!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.