Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well here is a link describing the SM050. It's one of the older models that is simple to operate. Plug it in and set the temp using the dial.

http://www.ber-vel.com/CS--SM050.html

So there is really only three things you might have to replace: the electrical cord, the heating element or maybe the rheostat that controls the temp. I had an SM008 (the smallest of that generation of smokers) and there's nothing to fixing it. We swapped out the old frayed cord with one from Cookshack and opening the back you see how doggone simple but sturdy as tanks these babies are. For $75.00 and a little money on parts and one or two calls for advice from Cookshack Service you'll be rocking !! It's got five 14x14 inch shelves, a lot of room for a backyard cook.

Best of luck with it - it should not be too hard to get rolling.
Buy that thing asap. It's a fairly simply made device - a rheostat for the temp control, the heating element and the power cord would be the three things I would look at. It could be simply the power cord. I gave my SM008 to my next door neighbor and I already had the power cord, a new vent plug assembly and we took the back off, very carefully peeled the external insulating layer away and there was all the wiring.

These things are tanks. For $75.00 and maybe $100.00 in parts MAX you'll have an incredible smoker. Click on the COOKSHACK BARBEQUE & SMOKE-CENTER link and look for residential replacement parts. None of that stuff could cost THAT much.

I'm such a firm believer in the old school way that Cookshack builds their gear. It would be fascinating to see their factory and watch them shape that stainless stell and assemble these TANKS called smokers.
quote:
Originally posted by S & H:
As long as the box is tight ( door still tweaked ) that's still a cheap price on a very good smoker.

Agree whole heartedly. And isn't Bill at Cookshack good to work with. I call all serious about ordering parts or having questions (when I was shopping older used Cookshacks) and he'd answer my questions and we'd get yacking like I used to go to high school with him. All the Cookshack folks are like that.
quote:
Originally posted by Ohdaddy23:
quote:
Originally posted by Ohdaddy23:
No lights, not heating. Fuse?

My brother in laws buddy moved. He wants $75 for it. Before invest led bulbs in it, I want to make sure I can get it working.

Is the offer still open? I can purchase that if you can't
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.