Skip to main content

Well folks the Butts (2) were very, very, very good, the best I have eaten to date. Cooked'em just like you folks told me (still reading). C/S pork rub overnite, room temp, 225deg 17hrs, internal temp 194 pulled it an served with corn bread, cole slaw and beans. I have eaten BBQ/SMOKED meat from White Plains N.Y to Fairmont N.C. Retired U.S.NAVY. Dug a few pits for cooking hawgs, cooked on bed springs and barrels. Considered to be a Cooking FOOL by my co-workers and friends. Folks this is the best I have ever had!!! No brag, Fact!!! Come to NAS JAX FL and ask bout 15 of my co-workers this morning, guess what they had for breakfast. I can say no more.
Cook Shack Boom-shacka-allacaka- Boom !!! Thanks again folks, Mac
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm a newbie. Just ordered my Smokette and waiting for it. I've seen several mentions of 1) season it first (not sure what's involved there); and then 2) be sure pork butt (not sure how to ask for that in the market) is the 1st thing you smoke. is pork butt considered a really good first smoke because it's part of the seasoning of the smoker, or is it just because lots of folks like it enough to try it first?
Looking forward to hearing thoughts or seeing links.
Hi Schmoaker, welcome.

Congrats on your very wise purchase.

The seasoning process begins with smoking up the interior on your smoker. You put 4-6 oz. wood in the woodbox and turn the smoker on 225 or so and let it all burn up. Usually takes about 6 hours. You get a good 'seasoning', or coating of smoke inside.

Pork fat has been used for seasoning metal cookware for ages. It conditions and protects the metal. Alot of people not from a 'country' background have trouble understanding this. Please do not take that offensively.

A pork butt is the cut of meat traditionally used for pulled pork BBQ. You can also use a 'picnic', or a pork shoulder.

You will get a manual with your Smokette. The 'pork seasoning' will not be in the manual. Also, the times in the cookbook you will receive are way off. Use the forum for cooking advice. We do not recommend cooking most cuts of meat by time anyway, but by temperature.

You will need a good thermometer probe, the kind with a wire cable that connects to an LCD readout. You will need a suitable drippan. The broiler pan from your inside oven might work. You will need a supply of heavy duty aluminum foil. The foil is used to line the bottom of the smoker and on top of the woodbox and is highly recommended to facilitate quick and easy cleanup. You will poke a hole in the foil where the driphole is.

For cleanup after most cooks, all you need to do is throw away the foil, dump out the woodbox, put the racks and shelves in the dishwasher, and wipe out the inside with dry paper towels. Do not clean the inside with cleaners or soap and do not remove the seasoning. A dark brown color and a thin film of grease should remain. The outside of the smoker may be cleaned with 409 or similar. Glass cleaner works well on the stainless areas.

I hope this helps.

Cool
To add to the good stuff mentioned by GLH, a pork butt is suggested because it is probably the easiest thing to smoke and also one of the hardest to do wrong. As long as you get it to an internal temp of 185 to 200, you're going to like it.

Also read the new user info area. There's lots of good stuff there including mention of the 'plateau'. When you're cooking the butt and it gets somewhere in the 155-175 range, it is going to sit there for several hours and the temp may even go down. This is the plateau where the collagen starts to break down and the meat starts to become tender and pullable. Just wait until the temp gets above 185 and remember that "it's done when it's done."
OK, here's the dumb question of the week:

My 008 arrived via UPS yesterday. I haven't yet had time to do more than just peek inside and remove the boxes of rubs, wood, etc.

It's got quite a patina of wood dust or something in there. I'll wet-cloth it down before seasoning. But ... is that normal?
Shmoaker,
I got my CS a week or so ago and when I FINALLY got to open it up and do my wood smoke, it did not come with the "guts" and it was extremly dirty; appeared to have been used as things were missing and it was really dirty and greasy inside. I sent it back and I am waiting on my relpacement. CS said it is common for it to have dirt/wood particals from the wood in the box ( mine did not even have a box of wood!!). Hope this helps! If you are really concerned call CS and talk to them about it.
Shmoaker,

Thread topic has changed but.... I also had the same saw dust and wood chips mixed with what I think is manufacureing oil on the sheet metal. I just wiped it out with some soap and water and dried it and went about seansoning it the following eve. And then as the topic at the top says I went on to make some awsome Pork Butt the following day.
All I can say is "WOW!!"

Last weekend I took my 008 on its maiden voyage. Seasoned on Saturday, and cooked a 6.6# pork butt for Sunday dinner. It went in at midnight Saturday and reached 195 degrees internal by 7pm the next day -- 19 hours. It had a nice bark, pulled with ease, was juicy juicy, and tasted great. My wife gave it the ultimate compliment: "it tastes real".

This weekend I went for three slabs of baby backs. They cooked for five hours, might have been a tiny bit overcooked/dry, but once again were terrific and "real". My wife's reaction this time: "go online and order up some more of that Cookshack bbq sauce so we don't run out!"

Next up: brisket next weekend.

A hearty thanks to all of you on the forum for providing such terrific information and patient advice. I would never have known what the hell I was doing without it. You've turned me into a confident smoker overnight.

Thank you!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.