Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Me being a country boy, my experience says not dry enough. It will dry a lot faster if cook in short pieces. They would have been dry by now if that was done 1st that way. Might be able to dry faster in idea drying place. Some where warm and low humidity.It will be very mild wood.In front of a dehumidifer for the week would do the trick.
Last edited by cal 2
Put a small chunk in and test it w/o meat. A pan of water could simulate a load of meat so oven heats up normal. If it burns/smokes OK and smells reasonable - go for it. Better to test than mess up some good bacon. Like cal said, 2-3 months is kinda short cure time but don't know til you try
The wood still hasn't seasoned. I'd cut it into 2x2x2 pieces so it will dry a lot more quickly. If you didn't live in Michigan this time of year, I'd suggest placing it out in the sun for a week.

Got a dehydrator? Feel daring. How about setting the wood on the top shelf of your smoker at 140* well above the element for a few hours? If wood starts to smoke, which it shouldn't, turn it off. You could try laying the wood out in a single layer with a fan blowing over it for a few days. Got an electric heater you use for warming up a room? Place wood on a table in front of the heater (well away from the heat source) but where the warm air blows across the wood. All this will help dry the wood, but will only work with the smaller pieces.
With them only being 2" and in cold weather they may be seasoned more than a person thinks.Maple is a real sappey wood and a big piece wouldn't be close. Like Tom said TEST,IMO wouldn't even have to be meat in smoker. Look at color of smoke and see how the piece has burned in say 3-4 hrs.

A person needs to know his smoker,thats just my 2 cents!!!!!!
It is mild and I used about 6 oz, I didn't check but I would guess there is still some left, I'll find out tonight when I smoke some trout for dinner. You could smell it more than taste it but when I pull some out next weekend it might be better. For some reason that seams to be the case with just about everything I cook. It's always better the next day as far as smoke flavor. It only took about three hours at 180 degrees for the pork side to get to 145 degrees so It didn't smoke for long either.
Used the high mountain buckboard bacon cure and directions except used a side of pork instead of Boston butt. The side was really meaty but a little thin in areas, came up with some little pieces but flavor wise it's good. Rinsed for three hours cut a piece off and cooked it, it was a little salty for I soaked another 1.5 hours and let it sit on the racks for about an hour and put it in the smoker. It got up to temp so fast in the smoker I don't think it took on the amount of smoke I wanted it to. I think instead of using maple again I'd maybe go with a apple and hickory mix for a stronger smoke flavor. But as I said in a earlier post, after a week or so the smoke flavor might be just fine. ?? Anything else I can share, let me know.
Jeff

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.