Skip to main content

Not new to smoking, but, new to the cookshack. I had a masterbuilt setup with the external smoke generator. I got a SM 45, which is clearly built better. Keeps the temp up better than my old setup. Just read on here about the heat sink idea, will throw a 5 or 10 pound iron weight in next time I smoke something. Have had a decent amount of success with this unit after receiving for xmas. Was a little bit of a learning curve due to where the temp probes are supposed to be run. Since then I put them through the door as it was more conducive to removing and wrapping. After that adjustment it has gone well.

Look forward to learning and contributing.
chudzikb: First welcome to the group, and congratulations on the new 045. I have had one for 4 years or so, and before that a 009. run your temp. probes through the vent hole on top of the unit. I used to run my probes through the door, and had to replace the probes about 3 or 4 times a year. Once I started running them through the top vent, I haven't replaced a probe. There were a couple of things about the 045 that bit me in the rear, or were just different about these units. The first is the preset start up temp. These units run on high for the first 30 minutes, and then go the temp. you set. If you turn the smoker off, or loose power, and then turn it back on, it will go into start up mode again. There is a small tube on the back inside wall of your unit. This is part of the smoker thermostat. When you are loading your smoker keep what ever product you are loading away from this probe. Don't ask me how I know this, but if that tube gets stuck into a brisket, it reads the temp. of the meat, and not the smoker. Do a search for "big bang" on this site. They can happen with these units, and they can be real exciting the first time they happen to you.
IM, I have considered the issue with the probes and the door, but, have not figured out how to get around the problem without running through the door yet? On things I do not wrap, no issues will run through the top. But, when wires are all messed up when removing, led to disaster in the middle of the night. Maybe the longer 6 foot wire would make it work, got that on a replacement probe, will try that next time I do pork.
I have been smoking for the last 5 years with a Brinkman Cimarron offset smoker, and slowly improving. I added a Rocks stoker kit to my cast iron beast which makes temp control almost as easy as using an electric smoker. Ribs, turkey, brisket, pulled pork, etc. have been terrific. Recently, while trying to keep my smoker fed, I decided to learn about making sausage. I have a K/A with the grinder,stuffer attachment. After a couple of aborted attempts, I found a couple of sausage forums and starting reading. Long story short, I now have a LEM meat grinder, and a LEM 5 lb. vertical stuffer. With these two tools, making sausage is much easier and faster. I came to realize that my cast iron smoker was very temperamental at maintaining the low temps that are required for sausage making. More reading and finally ordered a Cookshack Elite on Saturday. Awaiting its arrival.
Genthar:

Welcome to the forum.

If you just ordered your 025, and it hasn't shipped yet, you might want to think about calling Cookshack and see what they would charge to switch out the standard cooking grates for stainless steel grates. you might think about getting the side racks with the extra slots in them, and enough stainless grates for the slots. Yes you will have to pay for the changes, but in the end it could save you a bunch of money. When I got my 045 I think the change from the standard chromed cooking grates to the stainless steel grates was a difference of 5 or 10 dollars. These same stainless grates are $55.00 a grate to buy outright.

Read the sticky about Lessons for new users: http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1028883/m/3351032983 . It makes a fairly steep learning curve a lot less steep. These things are joy to use and are pretty much set them and forget them.
Thanks for the welcome Sarge and Mike!

Ooh...thanks for the advice on swapping to the SS Grates. I'll give them a call on Monday.

I've been skimming through the lessons thread, as well as reading Smokin' Okies "101" recipes as well.

Really looking forward to getting started with the smoker.

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Mike:
Genthar:

Welcome to the forum.

If you just ordered your 025, and it hasn't shipped yet, you might want to think about calling Cookshack and see what they would charge to switch out the standard cooking grates for stainless steel grates. you might think about getting the side racks with the extra slots in them, and enough stainless grates for the slots. Yes you will have to pay for the changes, but in the end it could save you a bunch of money. When I got my 045 I think the change from the standard chromed cooking grates to the stainless steel grates was a difference of 5 or 10 dollars. These same stainless grates are $55.00 a grate to buy outright.

Read the sticky about Lessons for new users: http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1028883/m/3351032983 . It makes a fairly steep learning curve a lot less steep. These things are joy to use and are pretty much set them and forget them.
I'm Scott Adams and my home is in Victoria, BC. I've recently quit/retired from my work... Doing a little consulting and dabbling now in my long-time love of BBQ. I had been persuaded that in order to do it correctly, I'd need to upgrade... And by saying 'it', I mean a little catering. I bought a FEC120 from the Canadian Distributor who lives right here in the same neck of the woods. I visited Hans and got to touch the are unit I ended up buying. My wife and I are doing our son's wedding food... There will be 140 folks. I've served 180, so this will be fine. Turkey, pulled pork, beans... Cornbread. Should be fine. So now, I'm learning to use my big, new toy. Did a turkey for my dragon boat racing teammates and it was fantastic. Any great tips from y'all?... On anything FEC120 related? I do wonder, is there any cold smoke option with this rig?
So, the inaugural run I did pulled pork using the techniques I read on these forums, as well as Smokin' Okie's finishing sauce, and my own bbq sauce, and the results were absolutely fantastic! Everything worked to a "T". The only thing I would change is to spray down the racks with some non-stick before starting, but that's it. I'll be repeating this process for the 4th. Thanks to everyone for the advice, and to CS for an awesome smoker!
Hi. My name is Wade and I am from the UK. I have been smoking on a range of smaller smokers for many years but am now tuning it into a retirement business. To smoke in "bulk" I have recently purchased an FEC-120. I hot smoke the usual - pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, fatties etc - and I also do a lot of cold smoking (fish and cheese) and I cure a lot of meat. I am hoping to benefit from the wealth of expertise on the forum here as I start to get my new smoker into production.
Hi All

New to the forum. First let me say I've been wanting an fec 100 for years. Received it Tuesday 21st. What to season it with? Saturday morning went to the meat market got 2 butts, 9 baby backs. Back to the house 1 pm fired up the 100, while it was coming up to temp seasoned the meat, 2 pm meat in. Put the butts on bottom three rib laying flat per rack for the last three racks. Ribs off in 4 hrs. Butt off Sunday 8:30 am. Ribs come off perfect with just a little meat clinging to the bone and tender. smoke could have been a little heavier for me but everybody said it was fine to them not to heavy or light. I think next time I will extend the smoke time and maybe add some mesquite. The butts ended up with black bark all around. Pulled the bone straight out with no effort at all and the meat melts in your mouth. What else could you ask for on the first run. The best thing is I got to sleep all night and not one time got up to check the fire. Now that was different for me. Funny what a man will spend to get a night sleep. The fec 100 is all its hyped up to be and more.

Over and out
Old Man Smoking
Just browsing after ordering a SMO25 from cookshack (due 8-4). After many years of bbq on Weber grills and smoking on a Weber water smoker, it's time for something easier which, after reading posts from this forum (among others) the 025 should do.
I'll be monitoring this site closely and welcome any advice from all those who've "been there; done that".
Welcome to the group dschaef. You will love the SM025. They are a little different than you are used to. The top 3 things that bit me in the rear when I got my 045 were the start up mode, The heat sensor, and the amount of wood needed. These smokers have a pre-programed start mode. It doesn't matter what temp you program in to the smoker, for the first 30 minutes the smoker runs at 300 degrees. If you turn the unit off, or lose power, when you start it back up, it goes into the start mode. If you look at the inside back wall of the smoker you will see a small metal tube that sticks into the smoker several inches. This is the thermometer for the smoker temperature. Make sure that when you load the smoker to keep what ever the product is away from this sensor. These smokers are very stingy on wood. 2 to 6 oz. per smoke. Don't soak the wood. Do a search on here for "Big Bang". They can be very exciting the first time it happens. Let us know where you are located.
Thank You Idaho Mike for the "HEADS UP" on three issues unique to electric smokers (I probably would have
learned eventually via "school of hard knocks" but thanks to you (and people like you) a lot of frustration is avoided.
This is definitely going to be different than what I'm used to!
BTW, I'm located in Wisconsin so the SMO25 is in for a lot of cold weather smoking. The switch to electric came about when we converted our breezeway to a sheltered outdoor kitchen (formally housed a fishing boat which I'm now too old to use).

Regarding the 300 deg start-up; wait until the smoker stabilizes to the set temp. before adding meat?
dschaef: I have done it both ways. I don't know that it makes a lot of difference one way or the other. You will really like using these smokers in the cold. I have used mine in below 0 weather, and they have run just fine. Set them and forget them. I have several of the remote read thermometers, and it is really nice sitting in the house and knowing what is happening in the smoker. Some of the new ones work with smart phones. I haven't tried them since I am not smart enough for a smart phone.
quote:
Originally posted by dschaef:
BTW, I'm located in Wisconsin so the SMO25 is in for a lot of cold weather smoking.

The SM025 will do just fine. I had an SM020, cooked through blizzards, below zero temps, rain, sleet, snow, you name it. Never a hiccup. In the winter it'll just take a little longer to get up to temp.

Welcome to the forum.

Howdy Ed Clay currently residing in Saint Augustine Florida,
I have been makin Barbecue for to long to remember, My first cooker was R2 D2 thought I went big time back in the day when I got a SNPP , I cook for parties and crowds in my Big Jim Lazy Q offset it runs propane , coals or wood, I added a stainless steel tray at the bottom in order to Direct Q. I recently aquired a SM 009 from a friend who is scrapper, I paid all of $25 for it brought it home cleaned it up and it works just fine. It is the older model with the knob not digital but it does a very nice job smoking.

Merry Christmas everyone Smiler
Hi all, joined this forum yesterday after placing our SM025 order in. Live in downtown Indianapolis now. Made in the USA brought me here for an electric smoker. I am new to smoking though I've lived in Kansas City, Durham North Carolina and Austin Texas in the past. Looking forward to finally not depending on someone else for my que! -Alex

PS got a call from FedEx this morning they are delivering tomorrow! Wow! That was fast! Delivery is Jan 12!
Last edited by aspexil
Had never heard of a Cookshack until some friends on a bourbon board started talking about theirs. What a rabbit hole I found myself going down. Stalked Craigslist for a few months and found a good deal on a SM025 and pulled the trigger immediately. When I say it is the best thing I've bought in years, I mean it. Love it. Even got my Dad who is a BGE warhorse on the path to ownership.

If any of you find yourself in the Napa area, please let me know.
Greetings all,
Biggz here... Been smoking stuff for years in everything from my first Little Chief to my latest Traeger and many others in between. I recently treated myself to a new SM025. After seasoning it and doing some reading on the forum, today I am breaking it in with my first smoke of sockeye salmon (it's a Northwest thing). Just now coming to temp (I really like the temp probe program) so it'll be off soon. Next up for this afternoons smoke will be a whole chicken. Looking forward to many years of living in the happy zone of flavors.........
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
Welcome Sherpa. My first cookshack was a SM-025. Still have it but it's currently on loan to my brother. How do you like your ribs so far?

The first batch of ribs was very good, but not the best I've ever had. The second batch, however, was very near the best I've ever had! I suspect the third attempt will be the best I've ever had and I cannot wait!!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.