Skip to main content

My wife gave me a Super Smoker for my birthday. I read the forums until it arrived and listened to everyone's suggestions. We bought 2 Boston Butts around 19 lbs. total and made our own rub. We left them sit for around 24 hrs, put them on the racks at 225 with two chunks of hickory and waited for 21 hours. The internal temp of the upper was 194. I just couldn't wait any longer. We opened the door and two very dark butts met our eyes. We pulled a piece off and gave it a try. Unbelievable. I have never eaten any meat as moist, tender, and flavorful. My wife said the black is delicious, doesn't taste burnt at all. Way to go Cookshack. I am enjoying the leftovers and planing the next cook. Wife says it's the gift that keeps on giving.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like operation:ribs is the next on the agenda.

I don't know about everybody else, but I sure do enjoy hearing from people getting food out of their cookshacks that really excites them.

Hope you have fun and get much more tasty food in the future!

Oh...And welcome to the forum!!
Welcome to the forum Gem and congrats on your new smoker.

The deer shoulders will be out of this world. Inject them, lay on some pork fat, low and slow won't cut it, turn it up all the way! 160* is a good internal temp to think about, some folks say that is overcooked. Muscadine or scuppernong vine is good smoke with venison. I know you know what that is! Make sure it is dry.

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by GLH:
Welcome to the forum Gem and congrats on your new smoker.

The deer shoulders will be out of this world. Inject them, lay on some pork fat, low and slow won't cut it, turn it up all the way! 160* is a good internal temp to think about, some folks say that is overcooked. Muscadine or scuppernong vine is good smoke with venison. I know you know what that is! Make sure it is dry.

Cool

I like those suggestions so much, they've been logged and will be used the next time hunters throw me some scraps.
Thanks Tom I got to thinking about the lack of fat in venison. The front shoulders are real tough with a lot of sinew and grizzle. I gave some to a friend of mine and he marinated them in 3 parts pomegranate juice and 1 part gin. He said they fell off the bone after a slow cook. I think that he cooked in the oven.
Well GEM, I'm glad that you had great luck and were happy with the results. I guess the finished product speeks for itself. But I still struggle with the fact that it took 21 hours at a 225f setting to reach a internal temperature of 195f. I guess I'm missing something. I'dl cook it that long if necessary, but I'd be awful I would be tempted to move the thermostat up a tad. But then again, I'm pretty new at this smoker set-up.
Wellsir, even turning all the way up to 250* is still yet 'low and slow'. I know, not much consolation.

Mine has never averaged more than about 235*, but I can say it cooks even more efficiently now than when it was new.

Oh, and yes, it is still hard to keep from turning up during a long cook, and most times I end up doing just that!

Always turns out good, and never as bad as a kick in the head, as the old timers used to put it.

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.