Skip to main content

Okay, go easy on me. I hate publishing these because I know you'll find all my mistakes..

But that's a good thing.

Here's a PDF with my latest update of PR101. It's about 20 pages.

I'm actually teaching a local class on PR101 on Monday and had to make a handout.

PLEASE look it over, tell me about typo's, error's questions, whatever.

Enjoy:

PRIME RIB 101 PDF
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great Job! My only suggestion would be advice or a general guideline as to how much wood to use if it is in a Cookshack. It has been my experience that PR picks up smoke easily and I only use about 1.5 to 2.0 oz for a whole Rib Roast to get the smoke flavor that will satisfy most of my guests.

Thanks again for all your hard work on projects like these!

David
Smokin--

Absolutely awesome. Put together very well.

Makes me feel a little guilty. You prepare these great 101's, teach us smoking techniques, manage the forum, and encourage others to contribute. Then when we having smoking successes and receive tons of accolades and a number of "very well dones", we sit there and take all the credit. Thank you very much.

I had some editorial suggestions, but I couldn't get them to print in columns on this post, so I'll email them to you.
quote:
Originally posted by Team Butcher BBQ:
Nice read Russ, wheres your class?

I'm teaching at the Frances Tuttle campus on Rockwell. I'm also doing a series in the Spring (as mentioned on the bio page in PR 101)

Found out if I'm an instructor, I can take any of their other classes for free.
THANKS for all the inputs, got a couple of emails with errors, corrections and questions.

I rushed to get this out in print for the class (they have ME on a deadline, can you believe it)

Link at the top of the page has the updated version3.

Appreciate it, let me know what's missing.

Special note, I had to do this a little more generic as some of the students told me they only have an oven. But they'll see what they're missing by not having a smoker as I'm smoking mine for the class.

Russ
Yeah, I have another deadline for a Turkey 101 class I'm giving too, so you'll be seeing new Turkey 101 soon also.

Then Brining...

then in the spring a bunch of news ones (more classes)

But, they're paying me and since I can't get the 101's updated any other way, this makes me do it... LOL
As a professional chef I prefer to cook my PR to 110 degrees and allow carry over to work for me as it rests. As you pointed out there are differing ideas of what is rare.
Prime rib is usually served MR and the lower temp keeps the rare and MR fans happy. (personally I like mine rare as possible)

When we serve if a guest wants a medium cut (end cuts often go fast) we simply pour hot jus over the top of the slice. Most are very happy. If the guest wants med well to well done we resort to the aujus in a pan and put it in the oven method.

Choice is what most restaurants serve.
Most people will be very happy with Choice and will complain that your Prime cut is too fatty.
Here is a link that shows the difference between Prime and Choice.
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/prime_rib/

I use a simple rub of kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and fresh garlic. Sometimes fresh rosemary of thyme.

I just got an FEC 100 and seasoned it up this afternoon. Tommorrow night a load of butts is going in and am looking forward to serving up some smoked PR on Friday nights.
As another professional chef I would have to point out that the carryover cooking varies depending on how hot your cooking temperature is to start out with.

Barbara Kafka wrote an excellent coobook on Roasting back in 1995, with the main premise being to actually roast meat in an oven you need to be at 500 degrees or higher, otherwise you are actually steaming the meat.

A 14 pound prime rib cooked at 500 degrees pulled around 95 degrees will continue to carryover cook as it rests and rise to around 120 - 125 degrees (Medium Rare).

A 14 pound Prime Rib cooked at 250 degrees will carryover cook maybe 5 degrees more, and at 300 degrees it will go maybe 8 to 10 degrees higher.

I like to think of it as "Culinary Inertia".
one issue with 'roasting' at a very high temp is that the outer edges of the meat gets overcooked well into the 'hunk of meat', which means less of the R or MR to enjoy; plus it is difficult to really know the exact amount of carryover. I much prefer to roast/smoke at a lower temp closer to 200 where the carryover is much less problematic and finishing for a short time at a high temp for the crust, if desired.
I mention both those issues in the new 101.

Carryover (my experience before I knew of Kafka) is that a rapid rise in temp in a hot oven means it's rising faster, thus more carryover.

The issue about the gray outside is one we have discussed and is good to know. Me, it's not that big a deal, I've never heard anyone mention it at all, until we started talking in the forum.

I like my method. Start low, rest, finish high. Works for me Big Grin
Thanks to you all, and another friend I am very pleased with my first Prime in the FEC100.

In years past I had worked out of convection oven at 350 degrees. I heeded the advise about carry over and pulled at 120.

I have the old Traeger controller.
Seared the rib all over and put it on the smoke setting for an hour. Bumped it to 250 for two hours and dropped it down to 200 for the remainder. When it hit 220 degrees I wrapped it in plastic wrap and foil and dropped it in the cooler (cambro) until service two hours later.

My guests and I were very pleased with the end result.

Prime Rib

Plated Prime Rib

Last edited by Former Member
Thanks for the fix SmokinOkie. I didn't want to post such a huge file to the forum.

And TNQ I did mean to say I pulled at 120. Thanks for clarification.

Today was prime rib sandwiches on a multigrain ciabatta with horseradish sauce, pepper jack cheese and caramelized red onions.
Yummy.
quote:
Originally posted by JAR-3:
Sorry if I missed it in the new PR 101 (which was excellent!), but how much wood, would you use in an electric smoker? Would 2 oz of cherry be about right?

Thanks

That's VERY subjective. If you've not done one before (keep notes on this one) I would do only 1 or 2 oz. Less is better than more.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.