Skip to main content

Smokin'

I have a question. I've been studying and reading about doing my 1st PR. I've read an article that has stated that if you want to keep a crusty outside, they recommend pulling the rib after cooking(low heat) and letting rest at that point(FTC) and right before eating searing the outside.

I wondered if you have an thoughts,ideas on this method. Will I lose much of the crunchy crust by doing it the way you have outlined in PR 101?

Thanks!
I see Smokin's 4 stage method as searing at the end by setting the smoker at 375* for 30 minutes. I've followed the method you've mentioned by smoking the prime rib, letting it rest for 30 minutes (No FTC but tented) then searing in a 500* oven for 6-10 minutes. Turned out great. I'm using this method again since my smoker only gets to 300*.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well here goes, I just put a 15.3 lbs rib-eye in my 160. After getting feedback and thank you very much I got a 3 lbs zip lock bag 2 bottles of the W sauce and covered it with MSS. Placed it in the bag and used a straw to remove most of the air. It sat in a fridge at 37 degrees for 48 hours turning every 6 hours. I'm cooking for tomorrow so I just pulled it out of the bag put it on the rack, filled the wood box with hickory and maple sawdust with a bricket and will cook to 100 degrees tonite, allow it to rest in a cooler and finish it at 375 in the morning to 125 internal. Pic's will be forthcoming. Thanks again and happy holidays to all.
It's covered in 101. Look for "au jus"

You can use a stock or something to extend the juices you have OR get some beef ribs and use them to make some traditional stock.

Look at the PDF for "au jus" and see if that helps.

I use that recipe with I make "chuckies" so I can have french dip sandwiches.
OK I think the beef ribs Idea will give me what i want .. Thanks
On anoter note I was readind P/R 101 and you suggested adding flaked mashed potatoes to thicken you Au jus..... that would add the flavor of the mashed potatoes.. to thicken a liquid add "ARROWROOT" ( it is in the spice section) it will thicken liquid with out adding ANY flavor to what you put it in , Just a few shakes and simmer the liquid, add more until you get the consistancy that you want
best to all
Hypnochuck
Not everyone has ararrowroot, flaked potatoes doesn't add a taste since you're not really adding that much.

Beef bones is the traditional stock method, easy enough, just takes time, but worth the effort.

but I don't want my Au Jus thick like a gravy, I like mine thin like a stock.

Lots of variations. Key is to make the PR the centerpiece.
Smokin, I plan on using that Turkey 101 you mentioned towards the top of this post. You said you were gonna be updating it, is that updated version available on the forum under Turkey 101. I will be smoking my first turkey this TG and I am wondering if there is any significant changes you made to it (if it's not yet published.)

I have to say thank you again, for everything you help us with on this forum. It is because of you moderating this forum and helping to make it so great that I purchased a CS 025 to begin with. Its because of you and others on here that I make such wonderful BBQ/Smoked food for my family and friends.

Thank you,

Vicki
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
Its because of you and others on here that I make such wonderful BBQ/Smoked food for my family and friends.

Thank you,

Vicki

Yup, that Turkey 101 (updated) is the current version 2010 I think).

And thanks for thanking everyone. We've worked hard over the years to get everyone to posting their experiences and helping others and everyone keeps it friendly.

Thanks for thanking us Wink
Pulled the prime rib from the smoker at 123*, let it rest under loose foil for 40 minutes, and reversed seared it in a 550* oven for about 5-6 minutes. It turned out a good medium rare...I used au jus to darken the meat for those that liked well done. Very tasty and moist. Twice baked potatoes, salad, green bean casserole, rolls, wine...all good. Oh, and cheesecake, homemade.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.