Skip to main content

I broke in my new Smokette Elite with your recipe and it turned out great. Best smoked salmon I've ever had.

It was a big hit as an appetizer and also was excellent in a smoked salmon fettuccine alfredo - just the right amount of flavor, not too strong not too subtle.

Thanks for a great recipe!
Mr. T or anyone

I am doing the Mr.T salmon recipe. I want to make an appetizer out of it.

Anyone has any smoked salmon appetizer ideas?

I was thinking of maybe doing a smoked salmon dip.. As in brine, smoke, break apart, and add mayo plus salt and pepper. The other easy one is crackers and cream cheese with a little salmon on top.

Thanks

El
We have no special recipe for a dip. Normally just toss and turn to taste although creamed cheese is usually a part of it. Be cautious if your recipe calls for salt as the salmon contains salt in the brine of course, simply adjust to your taste. Let us know how you liked it and what you did.

Mr.T
Looks very tasty. Nice coloring.

Last night I smoked a nice fresh Sockeye Salmon using Cardog's Award Winning Dry Brine recipe provided by Tom from our forum and Tone's Salmon Rub. We made smoked salmon Caeser Salad for dinner.

Delicious. Tasty. Salmon and smoke just love each other. The color of the salmon was almost a deep red. I'm not sure if it's the brine, the pellicle we formed or both that prevents the fat from oozing out of the salmon as it cooks, but it was a thing of beauty coming out of the smoker. Pulled it at 140* (a little higher than normal), apple wood, smoker at 225*.
TN Q,
I am thrilled that you are enjoying your salmon.

quote:
Originally posted by TN Q:
Be careful holding any foods in the danger zone between 40˚ and 140˚ for extended timeframes, as this provides bacteria prime opportunity to multiply. The process of freezing fish does serve to kill parasites. However, freezing doesn’t kill bacteria; it only slows growth or causes hibernation. Returning the fish to room temperature provides the environment for bacteria to begin to grow. Nitrites/nitrates should be added with the salt in the brine to kill bacteria if planning on drying at room temperature for extended timeframe. Otherwise keep fish refrigerated well below 40˚ during an extended drying period. JMHO.

I take it you are referring to yourself when you speak of food police. You are correct on the basic temperature safety guidelines for most foods. Here though, we are discussing properly curing fish for preservation by brining at a specific salinity then smoking to a minimum temperature for a specific amount of time.

Idaho Mike,
I will try to eliminate some of the criticism and confusion as to why the above recipe is used and is so popular.

As Paul Harvey would say “Now for the rest of the story.”

As some of you on this and other forums know. I live in a relatively remote and isolated part of the country. Here where some have to truck their water in from nearby springs we have no cell service, electricity is a necessity for most, a periodic pleasure for some and a dream for a few. Most have access to freezers and refrigeration while some get there electricity only from portable generators or solar panels. They normally charge banks of batteries or directly feed appliances such as a clothes washer or vacuum. The refrigeration for those without electricity normally comes from propane refrigerators with extremely limited freezer space and slow recovery rates.

As one who likes to share smoked salmon, it did not take long after moving here 25 years ago to realize I had a new challenge. That was to come up with a recipe that would not only preserve the salmon, but also consistently taste good throughout. After much testing, the result is the above recipe.

Due to the remoteness and low income for many, there are ones here who have never experienced a fresh salmon dinner or who’s only experience with salmon is the cured and smoked type. The fact is that many foods that need to be frozen or will not keep for an extended amount of time in a refrigerator can be useless.

I do not alter the recipe when smoking salmon for others even for those who have freezers as it is so often given away as gifts, especially during the holidays. The chance of someone who does not have a freezer receiving it thinking it is cured would be too great and spoilage could occur.

I do hope you understand why the smoking temperatures, time, salinity and pH measurements of all my brine's whether they are for curing or pickling are kept and this clears things up as to possible overkill.

It’s not that other types of salmon are not good, of course they are. There are many ways to prepare salmon and if you have a favorite recipe and preservation is or is not a concern, I say use it.

Bottom line is, when someone knocks on my door and asks me to smoke some salmon, they know what they are going to get.

Tom
did a test run of Mr. T's salmon. I gave some of it to my Doctor. I had an appointment today, and he said his wife went crazy over it. I have to admit, that I had problems with my smoker, and thought it turned out a little dry and sweet. This was my fault and not the recipes fault. The Doc. wanted to know if I would sell him smoked salmon. I don't usually do this, but will in this case. I guess hearing that the Doc's Wife said that it was the best fish she had ever eaten, made the difference.

Thanks Mr. T.
Todd,
If you used the above recipe and technique your salmon is cured. It can safely be air dried at room temperature to form the pellicle, figure around two to three hours without a fan one to two with. Forming a good pellicle while being refrigerated will simply take longer.

Enjoy and let us know how it went.
That was the best smoked Salmon I gave ever eaten. It received rave reviews at the Christmas party! Even those who usually don't like salmon were telling me it was excellent!

I pretty much followed Mr. T's instructions word for word. Bought a 2 pound sockeye fillet and cut it into 3 equal pieces. Brined for 18 hours, rinsed, patted dry. Then air-dried for 3 hours on kitchen counter. Then decided to put a fan on them while I preheated the SM025 to 200 degrees. I used a 3 oz chunk of red alder. Took about 1 1/2 hours for salmon to reach 145 degrees, then I reduced smoker temp to 180 and let the salmon cook for 30 minutes more before pulling. The fillets were deep red and smelled amazing! I let them cool slightly then immediately vacuum-sealed them. One chunk was eaten at the party (with cream cheese and Triscuits) and I kept the other 2 for Christmas day.

One word, Mr. T .... Ridiculous. This is now my go-to recipe for smoked Salmon.

Todd
Mr.T, I smoke a lot of salmon using dry brine methods which can be tedious so I am excited to try your method. I have a few questions to help me adapt to your recipe. Can you do whole filets instead of cutting it up? I assume you vacuum pack after they are smoked, so what do you do with the packages you have not eaten or given away, freeze or store at room temp? How long is the salmon good for using either method?
Q4lunch, Unlike many dry brines, this recipe was developed for 100% saturation resulting in a product with a known salinity and pH level making a more shelf stable product. This product is suited more for a snack type salmon than a main dish.

Whole fillets can easily be done using this method, but it is my personal preference to cut the fillets into serving sizes as it would be rare in my case that a whole fillet would be required.

After being smoked the salmon is vacuum sealed and refrigerated for up to three months and at times, I will freeze it for up to six months. If longer storage is desired, the salmon should be pressure canned. When canning, the same brine technique is used, but a different smoking procedure is used do to the effects canning has on the fish. Although it is cured, to avoid confusion here on the forum, I rather not discuss storing the salmon at room temperature for a length of time.

Hope your questions have been answered. If I can be of further assistance, please ask. Will be looking forward to your results.

Tom
Mr T! I just tried your salmon technique and brine recipe this weekend, and wanted to let you know it is excellent! I did have some confusion over the amount of salt by weight (I used Kosher), and ended up putting in more than the recommended 3 ounces. I was worried it would be salty, but the result was perfect. As others have said, the result is firm and delicious.

Thank you for sharing!

Barry
Mr. T, As you know, I've enjoyed your salmon brine recipe for a couple of years now, and maybe I haven't been paying attention, but this is the first time I recall you recommending cure rather than salt. I know you say you like the resultant taste better, but I wonder about having nitrates, nitrites, and propylene glycol in the product if it really doesn't need to be there. Is taste your only reason for preferring it? Just curious. And thanks again for a recipe that has brought me and mine much enjoyment!
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Mr. T, As you know, I've enjoyed your salmon brine recipe for a couple of years now, and maybe I haven't been paying attention, but this is the first time I recall you recommending cure rather than salt. I know you say you like the resultant taste better, but I wonder about having nitrates, nitrites, and propylene glycol in the product if it really doesn't need to be there. Is taste your only reason for preferring it? Just curious. And thanks again for a recipe that has brought me and mine much enjoyment!

Hello Jay, Please review the recipe. It does state that TQ is preferred.

Besides preferring the flavor, it also makes for a longer shelf life. As for the nitrates and nitrites, there is more in a stick of celery. Of course, if you are happy preparing it the way you are and not comfortable using a cure, continue doing it the way you are. Keep enjoying your salmon, my friend.

Tom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.