Skip to main content

Took some home smoked bacon and mad some bacon jam.

Ingredients

Sliced bacon and then cut into 3/4 - 1" pieces

Brown bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat is rendered off.

Drain the bacon and save the bacon grease for cooking other stuff.

Chop onions and cook in a tablespoon of bacon grease until they start getting translucent.

Combine all the remaining ingredients and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 4-5 hours.

Here is is reduced and thickened

Transfer to food processor and give a few pulses

Put in air tight containers

Store in fridge for up to 4 weeks.

Recipe I used:
• 2.5 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
• 3 large yellow onions, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled ( I used granulated as I was out of fresh)
• 3/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
• 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
• 1 1/2 cup brewed coffee
• 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• Pinch or two of red pepper flakes

I did it all in a slow cooker so not as much clean up or tending.

Think it would be great on a burger or grilled cheese. Tried it on crackers and it was super!
Next time I will use store bought bacon, I doubt it paid to use good bacon for this.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That looks great Rich. We love bacon jam and always have a container in the refrigerator. The recipe and method I use is the same as yours, though I also have a more savory version which includes fish sauce and chipotles en adobo among other things.

There's a multitude of uses for the jam, which are limited only by your imagination. For openers, it makes a killer PBJ sandwich.

Enjoy. It won't be around long.
GreatfulB:

I would think that you could do this in a hot water bath. Everything in this has already been cooked, so basically you just want to get as much air out of the jar as possible and get a good seal on the jar. I have jam around here that was made 3 and 4 years ago that never saw a canner. I put the jars in boiling water while the jam is cooking down. The lids go in another pan of hot water. When the jam is done, it gets ladled into the hot jars, the lid and ring go on, and the bottle sits on a towel with the lid side down for 5 minutes, and then is turned right side up. I would contact your County Agriculture Agent and ask them what they think? they are a good resource for this kind of thing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.