Skip to main content

I picked up one of the A-Maze-N pellet smokers thinking I would use it for cold smoking in my SM-045. I have the cold smoke baffle, but thought I would give this a try. The instructions say you can use saw dust or pellets. I didn't have either. I used some chips which are like course saw dust. I started the box outside of the SM-045. I could get it to produce smoke for more than 15 minutes at a time. I know that I have seen mention of using these things in the SM-025, and or the SM-045. What am I doing wrong other than simply not using the cold smoke baffle to start with?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The AMNPS can ba a real PITA in a Cookshack because of the need of a good airflow. If cold smoke is what you want, no problem. By using your smoker as you normally would, set the AMNPS aside and put racks in a cardboard box, place them on a couple dowel rods, cut a flap near the top of the box for air adjustment and place on top of your smoker so you can catch the smoke as it exits.

The first two photos in the following will give you an idea as to what I mean.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...462907527#2462907527

Tom
Last edited by mrt 2
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
Mike, I tried the square (rat's maze) box with pellets and dust...had the same results as you in my FEC.

The tube version, using pellets, has yet to fail me. Swap them out and you should be fine.

Max: I seem to remember there was some conversation on here about using these with an aquarium pump blowing air through the bottom vent/drain hole. If I can't get it to work in the SM-045, I will use it on my grill.
I have used the 5x8 pellet tray in my FEC100 several times. The best results that I have found is to turn the FEC on but not start it, the small draft caused by the slow fan helps. You REALLY need to make sure you get it started well before you close the smoker up. I use a a chefs torch to really get it going well and have a good bed of embers. The tray lasts a lot longer than the tube for me (I have both).
quote:
Originally posted by Mike4258:
I have used the 5x8 pellet tray in my FEC100 several times. The best results that I have found is to turn the FEC on but not start it, the small draft caused by the slow fan helps.

Mike, I'm not real familiar with the FEC100. I would think that the fan you speak of would greatly help with the air flow across the AMNPS allowing the use of the AMNPS with your unit. The OP has a 045. In my attempts to get the AMNPS to work in my 009-02 and 066, without making modifications has proven the AMNPS is almost useless.

If cold smoke is what he is looking for, there are less aggravating ways to produce it using his 045 or the AMNPS.

Tom
While ordering replacement probes for a couple of my thermometers, I had a chance to talk to Todd at A-MAZE-N about using his tray and tube smoke generators in the Cookshack electrics. He explained that the tube generators were working better in Cookshacks as they have a larger surface area. If you have further questions, Todd may be reached at 952-736-7678 http://www.amazenproducts.com/.

If you are intending to smoke cheese, keep in mind that cheese will begin to change consistency at 80°. A simple mod may be made that uses "second-hand smoke" as in pictures one and two in the following. http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...462907527#2462907527. A tall cardboard box with a rack placed on a couple dowel rods will work fine also. This simple mod allows the use of the smoker itself or in conjunction with using a tube.

Smoked Cheese, http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...582921117#6582921117

Hope this helps.

Tom
Mr. T:

I did pepper jack, vintage aged white cheddar, and gouda. I put the A-Maze-n Tube on the heating elements of the smoker, but didn't start the CookShack. I opened the door about every 45 minutes to turn the cheese a 1/4 turn, and let the temp come down in the smoker. This was the first time doing cheese this way. I have done it with the cold smoke baffle. I will do some more later in the year. I will put a pan of ice between the heat source and the cheese next time. The gouda which is a soft cheese to begin with got a little too warm and sagged a little between the bars on the rack. All of the cheese picked up good color, and plenty of smoke flavor.
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Mike:
Mr. T:

I did pepper jack, vintage aged white cheddar, and gouda. I put the A-Maze-n Tube on the heating elements of the smoker, but didn't start the CookShack. I will do some more later in the year. I will put a pan of ice between the heat source and the cheese next time. All of the cheese picked up good color, and plenty of smoke flavor.

Mike, congratulations on your smoked cheese quest.

If you would consider using a collector modification on top of your 045, the 045 would then act as a heat sink. You would then benefit from getting a cooler and what I call a much cleaner and smoother smoke. That would then increase your time to smoke.

The ice in the smoker can be a double-edged sword. It will indeed cool the air, but by doing so, the moisture may increase causing your cheese to sweat even more.

It sounds as if you are smoking to a desired color rather than time. That is something that I wholeheartedly support as conditions can change making timing difficult. I just smoked and waxed some 4-year-old cheddar for this year's Christmas gifts for 20 hours. Using a very light blue smoke from a remote iron stove, the result was a very desirable flavor the next day with no bitterness at all.

Enjoy your cheese and show us some pics of your results.

Tom
Tom:

I go for color and taste. I didn't take pictures of the last cheese I did with the A-Maze-N tube. I usually do around 50 pounds at Christmas This goes out as gifts for friends, and My Wife's customers. I have always used the cookShack cold smoke baffle and method for this. The weather conditions are much different when I do the Christmas Cheese than they were when I was using the A-Maze-N Tube. Somewhere close to +40 degrees ambient temp. I don't know how many pictures I can add to this but here is the smoked pepper Jack from Christmas cheese.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2014_Cheese
This is a picture of the cheese an hour in with the A-Maze-N Tube. The cheese is Pepper Jack, White cheddar, and Gouda. You can see that the tube is producing good smoke. If I had a picture 1 hour in using the cookshack cold smoke method with the baffle, you wouldn't see any smoke. I am not bad mouthing this method I have used it for 10 plus years with good results. I guess I am "trying to build a better mouse trap". I think I am on to something here, and let it run it's course while I play, and enjoy the results.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Amazing_smoker_2

There are a lot of site bearing the banner BEST**********for 2019.  They are nothing more than copying info from manufacturers sites. I feel bad for those who fall for the "reviews".  Having said that, I have great respect for the Old Smokey electric.  It has been around for decades. Not meant to last a lifetime; a good back up or one to learn on without shelling out much money.

Last edited by oldsarge
JosephParker posted:

Who can tell the best product among those listed on this site?

https://startbbq.com/best-pellet-smokers/

JeffreyThomas posted:

I need someone to pick out one best product from those on this list here.

https://bestoffsetsmokers.com/...masterbuilt-smokers/

Guys...
Impossible to tell not knowing your budget, requirements and what are you going to cook which one is better. Some of them are pretty decent (like CampChefs and Traegers), some of them just not (like Masterbuilt - no offense, just talking from my experience!).  But, like, when my purchase from the yet-another-random-list was a total miss, my friend was pretty happy with his Masterbuilt. Reason? We are two different persons, and there's no such thing like an ultimate solution.
So,without any extra information from you it's hard to recommend anything, please understand - you came here and asking us to choose a grill from a site (not the list!)/which smoker is the best and I guess my random answer - for instance, Mak-2 (cost $2600 when I checked it) - won't suit you.
Why? Too pricey. 
Or too big.
Or small...
Whatever.

Got it now?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.