Skip to main content

I got the Weber pizza insert for my master touch as a present this past Christmas and tonight I finally got to use it. Being that this was my first time grilling pizza, I expected a complete failure but it turned out decent to be honest. Unfortunately I underestimated how difficult it is to transfer into the grill so I had a couple mishaps and also, I couldn't get my temps up as high as I wanted but that was just due to an inssuficient amount of charcoal.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 4e630bbc0ac485b24ece7f0215afa79e
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think I have made every mistake possible trying to grill pizza. Here are my suggestions. Pre Heat, pre heat, pre heat, get that stone hot 500 degrees or more. I have a pizza peal that has a canvas slider that helps loading and unloading the pizza. Also use some corn meal under the pizza to act as ball bearings to help it slide. Don't over sauce or over load your pizza = soggy pizza. Smaller pizza are easier to make than big ones. Don't worry about getting it round, it ain't gonna happen. BTW you can grill directly on the grates. Grill one side pull it off, top it then grill the bottom. It won't stick I promise. Ha! Ha! have a good time.
I'm with RangerDF. I've had great success doing pizza directly on the cooking grates of my gas grill. I usually buy a nice ball of dough from a local pizza place for $4 or $5, pick off a piece, roll it out thin and coat it with olive oil before starting. Grill one side to desired doneness, flip, add toppings, and close the lid so the cheese will melt. All your toppings need to be precooked or edible raw.

If you can find it, I highly recommend the book "Pizza on the Grill" by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer (Taunton Press, 2008). Lots of tips for both charcoal and gas, and some great recipes. Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDF:
I think I have made every mistake possible trying to grill pizza. Here are my suggestions. Pre Heat, pre heat, pre heat, get that stone hot 500 degrees or more. I have a pizza peal that has a canvas slider that helps loading and unloading the pizza. Also use some corn meal under the pizza to act as ball bearings to help it slide. Don't over sauce or over load your pizza = soggy pizza. Smaller pizza are easier to make than big ones. Don't worry about getting it round, it ain't gonna happen. BTW you can grill directly on the grates. Grill one side pull it off, top it then grill the bottom. It won't stick I promise. Ha! Ha! have a good time.

Which brand & model pizza peel do you use, RangerDF? I just got a new stone (about 15") but I'm on the lookout for good peel for use with my PG500.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.