Skip to main content

I can't get my 40 to set the temp below 140. When I press the down arrow it simply stops there. I have some recipes I'm looking at that suggest some temps below that (for periods of time).

Anyone comment? is that normal or do I have an issue with my controller (which has already been replaced once).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well the question is probably moot. I let the chickens sit for 4 hours and just stuck the probe in and the breast temp is 116.

I was using a brine recipe from a book and it suggested a low temp for a while and then higher. However, since chicken needs to be 160-170 then a 140 temp will never get it there. I was getting a little smoke but not much.

I just raised the temp to 225 so we'll watch the probe temp and see how it goes.
You could start it low and raise it to 225*. Only problem I have when I start it too low, is no smoke. With chickens, low might be 200-225* for awhile then raise to 275-300* for a good period till done.

I've not brined chicken, but I'll never do a turkey without it again. I brined last Thanksgiving, bought the Cookshack and have brined turkey another three times. You should be happy with the brine and the smoker.
quote:
Originally posted by Battledad:
..I was using a brine recipe from a book and it suggested a low temp for a while and then higher. However, since chicken needs to be 160-170 then a 140 temp will never get it there. I was getting a little smoke but not much.

If your book suggested smoking it below 140 (did it?) then it's not giving you good advice.

Below 140 leaves the food in the danger zone for extended periods and if you don't finish off your chicken to a higher temp long enough to kill the bacteria, you'll be seeing some potential food poisoning.

What book?

For the real advice, just ask here, we'll get you the real skinny, and since I wrote Brining 101, I know a think or two about that and I'll help.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.