Skip to main content

ok, i did a search (maybe didn't use the right terms?) and found nothing.

So, I have a cookshack and i'm going to do ribs for the 2nd time and last time I trimmed down ribs to st louis cut myself, this time I bought st louis cut and again... the racks are to long.

they don't fit, so I have to split them and if I split them, then instead of 2 racks per shelf... i can only get 1 per shelf... meaning i can only do like 3 racks of ribs at a time...

gotta be honest, had I known the i could only fit 3 racks at a time, i wouldn't have bought it (of course, I would have spent more and gotten a bigger model).

anyone have any suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We certainly have discussed that and many of the rib posts talk about the fact they have to be cut in 1/2.

That's the #1 reason for the new design, size.

For me, there is always a rib or two on the end that is 100% fat and I just trim the ribs down lengthwise. Actually, if you measure, you can trim a rack down say 80% and it will fit. You might have 3 bones left over and they'll fit along the side.

If you're purchase was just a short time ago, call CS and discuss it with them, maybe you can upgrade.
Many on here believe the best way of smoking ribs is to cut each one in half and hang them using rib hooks. In my 08 smoker, I have smoked 5 using 10 rib hooks. Just take 1 of the SS racks and place it above the top side racks. Just be sure the ribs are not touching the smoker box.
You can purchase the rib hooks from Cookshack or p/u at any home center.
quote:
If you're purchase was just a short time ago, call CS and discuss it with them, maybe you can upgrade.

Russ,
I've seen it mentioned before on this site that CS will trade up. My brother bought a 008 in December and already wants to upgrade to an Amerique (I tried to talk him into bigger size from the start!) So he called CS last week asking about a trade-up and they stated they don't buy back smokers for upgrades. Could it be they denied this because he wanted to trade a model they don't carry anymore? Just curious. Thanks
Don
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
We certainly have discussed that and many of the rib posts talk about the fact they have to be cut in 1/2.

That's the #1 reason for the new design, size.

For me, there is always a rib or two on the end that is 100% fat and I just trim the ribs down lengthwise. Actually, if you measure, you can trim a rack down say 80% and it will fit. You might have 3 bones left over and they'll fit along the side.

yeah, that's kinda like what i did... i put in 5 racks, and cut off 2-3/ribs at the end and put them in where i could fir them.
After two semi-frustrating attempts at baby back loin ribs on my SM009, I finally bit the bullet and ordered some rib racks from Cookshack.

My first attempt: 3 racks of ribs (each cut in half). 1 rack per shelf. Results ==> severe problem with heat circulation - my unit never made it up to the set temp of 225. Very frustrating. Only bottom shelf ribs were halfway decent.

My second attempt: After talking with Cookshack tech support, I loaded my CS in the recommended "upside down pyramid" method. Bottom shelf: half a rack, Middle shelf: one rack (split), top shelf: one-and-a-half racks (all split). Results --> still, the top two racks did not cook very well and the ribs on the bottom shelf were very dry.

I followed all of the instructions on Ribs 101, with an initial check @ the 3 hour mark. Overall cook time was about 5.5 hours.

I think perhaps I am just overcooking them.

Joshua in Laytonsville, MD

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.